The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hello from South Wales
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Welcome & Test Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gothic_Sez

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I plan not to be in the room so she won't associate me with the process.

Very good idea. Very Happy Unfortunately, I got roped into "helping" out when Candleston's were done. I ended up hanging onto her other foot while each anklet was being fitted to stop her scratching Stan (who owns our local Owl Centre). Was very painful (she managed to dig her talons right into my fingers - blood everywhere) and distressing as there's nothing worse than seeing your "baby" being man-handled and clearly very upset by the whole procedure. In the end, it took four of us to fit her anklets and she has only just begun to behave normally with me again (it's been a couple of months).
Raven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's a revelation - Blod may actually be a boy!!

I took her down to see Doug yesterday to have her anklets and jesses fitted, and Doug, who knows everything there is to know about raptors, has his doubts about her being a girl. He did say it was bit soon to tell but as he's an expert in these matters I'm inclined to believe him. I'm waiting a bit longer as all her colouring isn't out yet but oh dear - anyone got any suggestions for a boy name beginning with "Blod"?

Fitting her anklets and jesses was over and done with in 2 minutes. She was as good as gold Doug said and her dignity was ruffled more than her feathers. He has a way of holding the birds so they can't see what's going on and can't struggle about anyway. Afterwards Blod spent the first hour hobbling herself by pulling the jesses short so I took them off and just left the anklets. She is pretty much ignoring the anklets now and seems her usual self - eating well, crapping on the carpet, investigating things - her normal routine. Laughing

Barry is finishing off the flights as his own kestrel arrived yesterday. Inside is done, just the outside parts to finish. So Blod will be going outside later this week. She only uses the owl box at night now anyway and has the run of our front room during the day. She's slowly getting the hang of stepping up onto the glove now especially if she's hungry so all in all, I'm horribly smug about how well she's doing. I may take her to her first show with the hawking club this weekend but we'll see.

But now, I'm off the have a practice with Blod at putting on her jesses and knotting them through the swivel. Somehow I think Blod is going to be better at this than me! Very Happy

Regards,

Kath
bubo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
- anyone got any suggestions for a boy name beginning with "Blod"?

i'm not sure the names i have in mind are ok for this open forum Shocked Razz
Raven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, we think alike! tee hee Very Happy

The cleanest name I've come up with so far is 'Bloke-y' - boring or what?

Kath Wink
bubo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy I really like gaelic names be it irish or scot and the only names i can think of close to blod is Brothaigh (from Brodie) or this is my favourite one - bradach which means spirited if you change that a wee bit you could make blodach Very Happy

bubs
colohen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: names Reply with quote

Lets see.
Blodeuwedd > created of flowers by Gwydion to be wed to Llew Llaw but fall in love with Goronwy and wish to be rid of Llew who could only be killed by unnatural means . When they made the attemp to be rid if Liew, Liew transformed into a Eagle an escapted . Later Llew slew Goronwy and transformed Blodeuwedd into a cursed bird (the Owl) shuned by all other birds forceing her to fly only by night.
Raven
Is that close?

Closes (Male) name I can come up with :Bodb Dearg 'the Red' son of Dagda ruler of the gods. Bodb Dearg later secceded Dagda as rules of the gods . And of the Norse myths, Gladsheim (joyful place) Hall of the gods where Odin rules over Asgard

Good Hawking

Colohen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubo -

I like Bradach esp as she/ he is certainly spirited. I had thought of Bodach which means, I think, 'old man'.

Colohen,

Your summary of Blodeuwedd's story is great.

How do you pronounce Bodb Dearg?

I'm trying to find a welsh name if possible as she/he is a welsh owl. I shall have another look in the Maginogion tonight.

Regards,

Kath
bubo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was just about to suggest asking colohen and he is gifted for name definitions haha but he has beat me to it Very Happy i have heard that story before but didnt know the names. that is really interesting thank you.
Raven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. Blod is Blod no longer.

He is most definitely a boy so I'd like to introduce - drumroll - 'Bychgen Pert'

It means gorgeous or beautiful boy as the phrase I use most often now when speaking to him is ' Where's my gorgeous boy?'

He's had me in stitches laughing at him this afternoon. He has been practising flying and he lands with such a thump of talons and then looks slightly surprised about it all. At one point he was jumping up and down on the arm of the sofa, thumping his feet and then bouncing back up into the air. It was obvious that Sir was having a marvellous time. I was impressed by the power of those feet - he thumps down his landing like the best Romanian gymnast. No wonder owls are such good hunters as not much would get away from his talons. I was less impressed to find my sofa is now pockmarked with tiny, tiny holes but hey ho, such is life

Bych is getting very good at flying to the glove for food and at sitting on the scales to be weighed. When he's flying to the glove at longer distances and more consistently, I'm going to try him on a creance outside. So, any advice is welcomed.

I am going to show him off at the club's next outing which is over the Bank Holiday weekend at the end of August. So we both have a lot of work to do - Bych at trying not to untie his jesses and me at trying to look as though I know how to tie a falconer's knot when I put him back on his block.

Now I must away back to my knot tying,

Kath Very Happy
colohen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Great!! Reply with quote

Raven
Good going !!
Dont push to hard . You dont wont to heart his confidence, to long a flight to soon.

Good Hawking

Colohen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good advice Colohen.

I've taken note and not pushed Bych any further - partly a family upset means I haven't had the time but mostly 'cos I think you're right. Bych is only 3 months old and there's plenty of time.

His free flying is coming along nicely and I'm just concentrating on short hops to the glove for food, tranfers from glove to scales and sitting on his block as pregaration for shows.

He still tries to remove his jesses but I've noticed all the barn owls in the club do this. He actually got one jess off completely the other day but I think I'd not threaded it through the swivel properly.

Kath :0)
bubo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barn owls are little toads with their jesses Evil or Very Mad i can not possibly leave any in his sight and have fixed permanent jesses to the anklets. wrapped round the eyelet and through themselves otherwise he will just rip them out and eat them.

during flying times when he settles on my glove and pulls at his jesses that is usually a sign for us to go home cos he's had enough.

bubo
colohen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: enough Reply with quote

Thats me at 3 am after talking to you know who! Very Happy

Good Hawking

Colohen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Welcome & Test Posts All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: