The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
owl techniques

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Biology and Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: owl techniques Reply with quote

the stock piling thread made me think of other techniques that owls use. Does anyone know of things that owls do or use as tools or ways to make things easier for themselves. i'm not too good with wording or getting my point across so i will give you an example of what i mean Very Happy

The burrowing owl brings dung home and leave it there to attract the beetles which are highly rated on the menu by these owls. I think that is really intelligent. I also like the other story in the previous thread about leaving food to eat the maggots forming!!!

cant wait to hear more.

bubo
gustavo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatīs a nice question Bubo !!!!!!

I was thinking, and i ask myself : Do they hunt as a group, or they always hunt alone ?

Very Happy Very Happy
bubo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have never heard of owls hunting together it is a very lone thing!! they dont really take prey large enough for hunting together.
Very Happy
owllady

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great stuff bubo:) this is where i like to learn more. i can say we here in scotland havnt seen anymore then one owl at any time which indicates they dont hunt in a pack although there may be some that do in other countries.
i dont know if its what all barn owls/little owls and other small owls do, ours tend to save all there pellets up litterally in there nest boxes and use them as a nest? i think this is really weird it surely isnt very comfortable? all those bones and such like euurrghhh lol Shocked
i havnt heard of the dung thing tho bubo ty for that Smile
Ninox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do owls hunt in patterns - like a mosaic - such as quartering the area etc like the other BoPs? Our Brahminy Kites here on the beach are meticulous about it and I noticed the mighty Sea Eagle doing too the other day.

cheers - Ninox Cool
tamrakaratul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i am from nepal .I was looking at your owl posts that i found it very helpful to learn new things about owls.does anyone knows how to tame owls?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Biology and Research All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: