The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Owls in Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tanja sova

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Reply with quote

Well, well, well...

if something can make me write, even though I can hardly pick my head up under the pile of obligations, that is Mr. Lewis! Angel

I can not wait until Karla, on behalf of Festival of Owls (www.owlstuff.com) manage to post it online (she did a major work around the festival), so here I am sharing with you fantastic news! Very Happy

Please take your time to visit this link:
www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/press_releases/2008/owl-hall-of-fame-03-01-2008.html

and you will find more about special owl rewards this year. Deane has deserved one long time ago, no doubt! This year, amongst really exceptional individuals, following have received a Special Achievement Awards (this is a part of the Center for Biological Diversity press release):

* Richard Clark, Ph.D. (USA) served as the senior advisor for the Working Bibliography of Owls of the World, which compiled 6,590 scientific citations and required 11 staff years of effort. He also served as editor of the 1987 Northern Forest Owl Symposium proceedings and has published numerous scientific papers on owls.
* Johan de Jong (The Netherlands) has led the Dutch Barn Owl Working Group since its inception in 1986. The group has successfully restored the country’s Barn Owl population, with de Jong personally banding more than 10,000 owls. He also chaired the World Owl Conference planning committee in 2007 and created the annual Dutch National Owl Day.
* Paul Muriithi Kibuthu (Kenya) grew up in a culture that stoned owls to death whenever they were seen, but overcame those beliefs by personally observing owls. He now guides tourists to Mackinder’s eagle owls, sharing his guiding income with local farmers who own the property surrounding the owl territories, thus changing local attitudes toward owls to a positive one. He also conducts research on the Mackinder’s eagle owl.
* Deane Lewis (Australia) found a shortage of owl information on the internet in 1997 when he was researching them for an enormous tattoo to go on his back. He went on to develop www.owlpages.com, the world’s mecca of owl information, visited by over 3,000 people from school children to biologists every day.
* Jemima Parry-Jones MBE (England) has published two books and a video on her pioneering techniques for training and care of captive owls and has reached over a million people with her education efforts (which include Mozart, the Lady Gray’l Award winner.) She also helped to develop and enforce captive-care regulations in England.

Dear Deane, congratulations for this award! You have deserve it absolutely! Wub

Cheers

Tanja Cute Owl 2
owlpages
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou so much Tanja. This was indeed an unexpected honour. There are so many great field workers, biologists, rehabers, researchers etc. out there... i'm just a geek with lots of books, a webserver, and an owl tattoo Confused
tanja sova

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, just a geek, we need you!

Thank you for being just the way you are!!! Angel

Kiss

Tanja Cute Owl 2
KarlaOwl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: You deserve it, Deane!! Reply with quote

Ever since the World Owl Hall of Fame began a few years ago, people have been talking that you should get an award, Deane. It doesn't matter that you're not a biologist...you're facilitating the exchange of the vast majority of the owl information on the internet for everyone from school kids to biologists. Where would we all be without The Owl Pages???

It was so wonderful to actually PHONE you to tell you about your award! I just wish there had been enough time for you to get a passport to receive your award in person. (No worries, we would have found a sponsor to get you here.) In the future we'll have a much earlier deadline for nominations and judging so folks like you and Paul Muriithi Kibuthu have time to make the necessary arrangements to get to Minnesota to attend the award ceremony.

I hope you will get a passport soon, because Tanja and I fully intend to get you here sooner or later!!

I'm hoping to get through the 800+ photos I have from the 6th Annual Internatinal Festival of Owls and get a summary posted in the next couple of days. It was just too much fun...then too much catching up to do!

Karla
owlboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulation Deane! The award is well deserved.

Owlpages is the only place where people can come to learn about owls. For years, Owlers were isolated, and could only work with the limited information they learned from experience and limited access to books. Owlpages brings a lot of other Owlers together. Both professionally and as a hobby. Owlpages helped make huge leaps forward that could not have ever been made without the websites you have created.

Few people know of the huge amounts of time, money, and energy you have expended to make all of this possible. All of it has been done out of the goodness of your heart for the advancement of owls. I for one, will always be grateful for the huge contributions you have made. Future generations of Owlers will always have to stand your shoulders to perform their work with owls. You are truly one of the major pillars of the owling world.
owlpages
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, i'm blushing... Embarassed
raptortrnr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes congratulations are much in order!
KarlaOwl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Deane's award itself Reply with quote

Deane hasn't seen this yet since I haven't got around to mailing him his award yet (hopefully in the next week, Deane!), but I've posted photos of his award and the brass plate on it in my photo gallery at http://www.owlpages.info/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=51

It was made by David H. Johnson, Director of the Global Owl Project.

Very Happy

Karla
tanja sova

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice plate, DJ! Very Happy

Cute Owl 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Owls in Education All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: