The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
School visit tomorrow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Owls in Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rochelle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: School visit tomorrow Reply with quote

My collaborator and I have ben invited to give a school presentation about birds/owls/and our Saw-whet book to primary grade students tomorrow.
We have done this before in our local schools, but were very pleased to be sought out by a teacher that found our book.

I am ready. I will be wearing my screech owl socks and my barn owl necklace (as accessories, not exclusively).

If anyone is interested, I will let you know how it went. The principal and teachers seem very enthusiastic-- hope we meet , or exceed, their expectations.

All in the interest of raising owl awareness.
theowlette

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, Rochelle! Best of luck to you! As an educator, I'm happy to hear that you are 1) creating an awareness of owls in our youth, and 2) planning on going fully dressed. Wink I know how those kids can get when I wear a low-cut shirt or lean over a desk the wrong way. Embarassed Luckily, you won't have sixth graders like I have.

I actually just started an animal unit today, where my kids have to choose an animal and report on its habitat, adaptations, interesting facts, etc. As my example, I chose a barn owl (of course). We'll be dissecting owl pellets (food chain) at the end of next week. Yay owls!

When I taught sixth grade in San Diego, we had a wonderful volunteer who brought in her owls for educational purposes. I'd love to have someone come in and speak in my classroom about owls here in Orange County, but it would be over $300 (donation), and last I checked, I was a teacher who didn't get paid enough.

Thanks for sharing, and keep us updated on how it goes!

Ivy Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rochelle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: program Reply with quote

Yes-- we are presenting to mostly innocent Kindergartners and first graders. And even if I were so inclined, tomorrow's weather here would be a bit too chilly to be an "au natural naturalist".

Sounds like you are keeping things fun in your class.

I have met an owl person in San Diego-- can't remember her name right now.. "Sky Hunters" was her org. and she has several very lovely , calm, educational owls and hawks.

We also asked a relatively modest fee--- for one thing, we have to travel 140 miles round trip (consider gasoline among other things). Our teachers were a little discouraged when we mentioned a fee, even though our cost was low. They sought out a community business as a sponsor, and also invited local newspaper/media people to attend.

Even if the media don't report on the event-- school people can write letters to the editor, and thank-you notes to appear in the school newsletter, and to the business-- that they can use for promotional purposes, as people who support education and the community.

Yes, I will let you know how it goes.
Rochelle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: All went well Reply with quote

Yes, we had a good time. It was an nice school, and the kids were great. We tried a few new things that got a little more interaction going with us and the students, and I think that worked well.

The teacher who initially invited us was pleased and enjoyed our program "...and it was so.. so... educational," she added. We told her that we couldn't help that. As former teachers we are a little compulsive in that area. She insisted on taking us to lunch. Another teacher took some video of me reading the book and asked if it was ok to post it on their school website. I said it was fine. If that happens, I will have to see it before posting a link.

One teacher invited parents and I think all of them that showed up bought a book-- a couple of them bought two.

I had a few kids come up and gave them tools representing different kinds of beaks-- pliers, tweezers, turkey baster etc. and tried picking up seeds, liquid, yarn (representing fuzzy worms) stuffed in the crevice of a branch etc. This worked well, I think, and put some action into the presentation.
High Tyto Soren

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you guys all have blasts! Unlike boring old Tennessee...Why can't people like you give owl pellet disecting every once in a while in science class...

But know, we get lectures and a bad visualization process..
theowlette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 4th and 6th grade standard (in California). We dissect owl pellets when we're talking about the food chain, producers, consumers, etc. We do it every year, no matter what I teach, because I love owls!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
High Tyto Soren

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our school board system is becoming so politcally correct, so we can't do anything!

We aren't allowed to go outside, how ridiculous is that?

Anyway, my brother excavated a whole lizard skelaton(?) a long time ago from a pellet, and it was really neat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Owls in Education All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: