The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
White Little Owlet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Biology and Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owlboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first guess is that the White Little Owl might have come from interspecies mating in past generations. While interspecies mating is very rare, it does happen. Most domestic cats are decendents from larger cats, such as, Bobcats, Lynx, leopards, etc. The Little Owl looked a little like a Snowy White. The movable eyes were very odd, since owls eyes are fixed. It is also possible that it is just a mutation. But, with some many different characteristics, this doesn't seem likely. It would be interesting to do some DNA analysis.
tanja sova

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

owlboy wrote:
It would be interesting to do some DNA analysis.

I agree on this one completely! Genes are involved, no doubt about it. Now, such as in people who are having phenylketonuria, just single mutation in one single gene of enzyme in katabolic cycle of phenylalanine gives chain reaction of so many visible (and invisible) changes that one would tell there's no chance something so simple can cause it. But it does.

On the other hand, you know that people with trisomy of 21st chromosome are, regardless of origin, so obviously distinctive, that one can simply looking at them tell what it is. It makes a lot of trouble to those people (so often misunderstood and underestimated!), but looking as biologist, this disbalance of chromosomes in fact brings on surface what we all have in common, so interbreeding isn't necessary, but might have happen. We don't know how fossil owls looked like in details, so who knows what genes floated out in this white fluffy adorable owl. That's my thinking about it - I bet some GLOW people would love to inspect this owl.

theowlette wrote:
I teach students with disabilities, and just did a final research paper (for my Master's) on why students are born with learning disabilities (in low-socioeconomic areas).

First, Ivy, CONGRATULATIONS! I have to tell you are such big heart and no wonder you work with those kids, for having the same wave lenght with animals (yep, owls Razz) helps a lot to comprehend, to feel kids who are coping with much higher challenges than the rest of us. I appreciate your work!
With animals, it is high probability they are gone before we can "check upon" what is wrong with them. With children, with all these medical achivements, many can grow up, unlike in previous times, but it is up to us to try to figure out what cause the change in the subtile nerve balance and result in challenges. Not to mention what people still have to discover, or better to say recognize...

Tanja Cute Owl 2
Adain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sad that Ashley has a disability so that he cannot be released, but perhaps, if he lives a long life, he will be like a foster-father to future little owl orphans, just like Bobby is a foster-mother? ^^ Perhaps not, because Ashley's disability may cause him trouble in the future, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask? The poor chick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Biology and Research All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: