The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What is the record for the longest living owl?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> General Owling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XD375

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: What is the record for the longest living owl? Reply with quote

I know owls live longer than average birds, but how long did the longest known living owl live?

Last edited by XD375 on Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Strix nebulosa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Eagle Owls can live up to 90 (ish) I'm afraid I'm not really an expert on this subject.

PS - Welcome To The Forum!

PPS - Is It just me or a lot of peeps are from Canada joining! Rock on!

Cute Owl strix Cute Owl
Laughing Owl Lover

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah feather was from Canada. Most owls I read about can live more than 40 years in captivity, but not usually in the wild. but, most small owls don't live as long as the bigger owls in the wild.

p.s. welcome to the forum!
owlboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are generally two catagories of "oldest living owl".

The first catagory is owls in the wild. In North America, the oldest living owl was a Great Horned Owl in Canada, which was reported to have been 26 years old. Obviously, the only owls they can test are banded owls. In North American there is a good program on banding Saw-Whet, but there is not a good program for other owls. The only location where they do lots of owl banding of all owls is in Western Montana, where they have been banding owls since the early 1980's. The central part of Western Montana also has the highest density of owl anywhere in the western part of North America.

The second catagory is owls in captivity. As a general rule owls in captivity live 3 times longer then owls in the wild on the average. But, having said that, many owls in North America that live in captivity live about 30-35 years at most. "Fat Broad", which is the most famous Spotted Owl (believed to be decendents of the Barred Owl) live to be 32 years old. I have seen several Great Horned Owls that live to be in their thirties. But, that does not mean that all owls will live that long. Some owls will not make it to 10 years old, even in captivity. And, most song birds live an average of 9 months, with the exception of the North American Cardinal, which live to an average of 13 years. But the African Gray Parrot lives about 80 years on the average.

The age of all animals and each species of bird is dependent upon how often their cells replace (divide) themselves. In humans, each of your cells replaces itself about once a year. Your cells can divide and replace themselves about 20 times before the replication process goes wrong. As you get older, the you become more vunerable to disease because of faulty replication. It is believed that cancer might be due to improper cell replication, which causes the mitrocondrion to rage out of control (chewing up twice 2 units of energy for each unit it receives). Therefore, the length of life of each species of owl will be dependent upon how fast the cells replace themselves.

I do not know how long other owls around the world live, but it is possible that there are owls that may live longer then humans.
XD375

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Last edited by XD375 on Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Strix nebulosa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I was thinking about Africa Grays... Smile It was morning where I lived so don't blame me for being a bit crazy

http://lore.hogwartsirt.com/library.php?PopularOwlsforAllPurposes

Go to the section about EEO only 30 years off! [/url]
Laughing Owl Lover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think most of them lived more than 50 years... now I know
The Horned Hoolet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

owlboy wrote:
.......... "oldest living owl".

............ owls in the wild. In North America, the oldest living owl was a Great Horned Owl in Canada, which was reported to have been 26 years old................................... The central part of Western Montana also has the highest density of owl anywhere in the western part of North America.....................I do not know how long other owls around the world live, but it is possible that there are owls that may live longer then humans.

Hello OwlBoy 375 & owlboy.

The following is from "OWLS" by Chris Mead 1987. ISBN 0-905483-59-6
" The oldest wild owl on record was a Long-eared which lasted for over 27 years from ringing (banding Wink ) to finding. This was not a British bird...... "

Hope someone will know where this "old timer" record came from....?

The Horned Hoolet.
XD375

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the average owl lived about 25 years. Is that right? For Great Horned Owls at least?
owlboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GH can live in the wild about 10-12 years, and 25-30 years in captivity.
theowlette

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a fishing owl who lives and the San Diego Wild Animal Park, and the keeper told me she was found in the late 70's as an owlet. I would assume she is an elderly owl.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tyto_glaucops

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Old Owl Reply with quote

Hi

We had an owl at the sanctuary were i work who lived to the ripe old age of 42 years old. She was a female Eurasian Eagle Owl ( Bubo bubo

Cheers

Mark
Berkutchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a 53 year old male European Eagle Owl in Germany in a private collection;
Soren-General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...in all the owl books iv read the auther had to put the record for the longest living owl and it is believed to be AT LEAST 60 years old. it was a great horned owl of coarse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> General Owling All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: