The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Owls getting Bird Flu?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Biology and Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strix nebulosa

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Owls getting Bird Flu? Reply with quote

Owls getting bird flu....sounds scarey..But Is it possible? I'm wondering..If owls/falcons whatever can get it from chicken chicks they eat? Or maybe Quail? My owl/eagle usally eats quail instead of chicks becasue of health values, heard its more suitable Just wondering so us, owlish peeps can know about it. Don't want some one to lose a bird! I dun't really know if they can even get the flu but still. Any updates on it? I don't really whatch the news much lol, to busy whatching old drama movies hehe just kidding.

One worried Owl Mummy,
Strix Cute Owl
falco01

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most diseases are killed of due to the food been frozen ,the risk of bird flu is more likely to occur from wild birds mutes or a bird killing a infected bird.
Strix nebulosa

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh really? I need to whatch news more often.. Very Happy
mikey100

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falco01 wrote:
Most diseases are killed of due to the food been frozen ,the risk of bird flu is more likely to occur from wild birds mutes or a bird killing a infected bird.

I think it is absolutely correct that contamination is more likely to come from wild birds than frozen food

but just to clarify that freezing does not kill avian flu virus
Strix nebulosa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but I know a few peeps who buy wild shot quail/rabbit meat, I'm just worried 'bout those people. I myself only feed farm raised quail. Hmmm what if a wild bird came in with the farm raised ones? Could they catch it from the wild bird? LOL Very Happy
falco01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you keep your bird in a avairy that has a meshed roof & sides the risk of a wild bird carring a disease is greater.comerrcial hatcheries are all trying to keep bio security high as they dont want the disease like wise.
As BOP keepers if we have a unexpected death we must get a post mortem done on the animal to guard against the disease.
In my eyes this disease is worrying but has happened years ago & will pop up from time to time,The media hype it up for a story all we can do is to report & suspect deaths of our own birds or wild birds.
Laughing Owl Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be strange if owls got bird flu.
Strix nebulosa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falco01 wrote:
If you keep your bird in a avairy that has a meshed roof & sides the risk of a wild bird carring a disease is greater.comerrcial hatcheries are all trying to keep bio security high as they dont want the disease like wise.
As BOP keepers if we have a unexpected death we must get a post mortem done on the animal to guard against the disease.
In my eyes this disease is worrying but has happened years ago & will pop up from time to time,The media hype it up for a story all we can do is to report & suspect deaths of our own birds or wild birds.

Shocked Thanks!
Laughing Owl Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh My god!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Biology and Research All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: