The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Howdy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Welcome & Test Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarlaOwl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Howdy! Reply with quote

I've finally joined after lurking around for a long time.... Bubo made me do it!! Very Happy

I've got a permanently injured, human-imprinted female Great Horned Owl named Alice that I use in educational programs, but she also has me wrapped around her not-so-little talon. She actually lives at home with me (OK, I always said she was too big to live in the house, but that's where she is now) and commutes to work at the nature center with me. I've had her 6 1/2 years now, and she's getting me trained fairly well.

I've learned a ton about her vocalizations and behavior so far, but I've got a long ways to go. I wish there was a book out there titled "How To Be A Male Great Horned Owl."
Ninox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome KarlaOwl - o yep! Very familar with the Bubo-made-me-do-it syndrome!!

What a wonderful post about Alice the GHO - I'm so looking forward to hearing more - this sounds like hours of fun reading! Hopefully some pics please?

cheers - Ninox Cool
bubo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi karla and i'm sorry i didnt get my little welcome post up before you got here Very Happy but i'm really glad you made it. I'm sure you will have fun and enjoy our stories just as much as we will yours.

love to alice and as i said before, a huuuuuuuge welcome
bubo
KarlaOwl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll work on getting some Alice photos up on this site....sooner or later! In the meantime if you're absolutley DYING to know more about Alice, you can go to her weblog: http://owlstuff.com/aliceweblog.html.

We've had quite the interactions with the "neighbor owls" this winter. Our resident wild pair (that include our yard as part of their territory) was bumped by a new pair, so lots of hooting, etc. Alice gets in on the action too, even though she's inside. Some nights I come out of things lacking a bunch of sleep, but I'm learning a lot more about vocalizations and interactions!

We've also been working to get the Great Horned Owl removed from Minnesota's "unprotected birds" list, to bring their state protection status in-line with the federal status. We actually testified before the MN House and Senate Environment committees! Just waiting for a vote now....
Ninox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O wow - o thanks KarlaOwl - a blog - I'm a total lover of blogs! Personally, I have a website- because I couldn't work out how to do a blog - but a website I can do easily - so mine is more like a bsite! But I use it like a blog. Alice's blog is great.

I'm very interested also in your work to get the GHO protection - very similar to the work I have been doing here.

best wishes - Ninox
Tyto22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She looks like a sweet heart! Keep up the great work and keep us posted! Welcome to our owl family! Very Happy
- Baba Dioum
TytoKing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello karlaowl and welcome 2 the "roost"
gustavo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karlaowl !!! Nice work !!!!

Im from Brazil, but ive lived in Minsesota once, as an exchange student, at the Edina High School, was in 1996, only for a year, very nice experience !!! Cool

Hope to hear more about Alice !!

Gustavo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Welcome & Test Posts All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: