The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Identifying an Owl by Hoot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Suggestions, Questions & How to
View previous topic :: View next topic  
okigari

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Identifying an Owl by Hoot Reply with quote

I've been beating my brains in trying to figure out what kind of owl lives near me. The main problem is that all I have to go on is it's hoot. I've never seen the owl since there is quite a few trees scattered around my area, I cannot be certain as to where the calls are coming from, and my eyesight is poor to begin with. Although, I have so far been unsuccessful recording the sounds, I have found a commercial with a hooting in the background that sounds near identical to it. I don't know if this is possible, but can anyone help me out by listening to the hoot? Here's a few supporting details,
I live in suburban Pennsylvania.
I have lived here my whole life (the same house) and since I was very small, I have always heard the same hoot.
Here's the video (you hear the hooting right after the man casts his line into the water):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6quXQmHQfM
Koj09

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. Sounds like the stereotypical owl hoot to me (Great Horned Owl) but I wouldn't know. Wait for owlboy, he'll know if anyone.
owlboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound in the video is a morning dove. They sound very similar to an owl, but they aren't. Morning Doves are pretty dumb, so this is their only good defense. I usually hear them at dawn, but can hear them during the day too. I have had a couple morning doves outside my house for years. Easily mistaken for owls.
okigari

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for answering. How disappointing...
owlboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you! When I moved into my present house, I heard them hooting near dawn. Being half-awake, I kept thinking that it was great to have an owl outside my house. But, by the time I became fully awake I was disappointed in my discovery. They fool a lot of people.
Koj09

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nyaaah... I didn't know that mourning doves could do that. I barely know what a mourning dove even IS...
denisander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is kind of owl was in Harry Potter? Who can tell
[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Suggestions, Questions & How to All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: