The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hello from Tampa! Barred owl pair lives in our backyard-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Welcome & Test Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catthom

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Hello from Tampa! Barred owl pair lives in our backyard- Reply with quote

Hello, my nick name is Cat, and I have been owl obsessed since our back yard pocket swamp became the home for a pair of Barred owls 7 years ago. The male showed up first, we call him Chester, he looked like a fully fledged juvenile. He seemed a bit human habituated, I could get within 10-15 feet, and he would look at me but seemed not to care. After a long, lonely 6 months of him calling, Greta showed up. She is much shyer (sometimes I winder if this is a female attribute) and will clack her beak at me even if I am over 30 feet away. I have tons of photos of Chester, not so many of her. Since then, they have raised several babies in our back yard. We live in Tampa, Seminole Heights neighborhood, along the Hillsborough River. Our back yard is one of the few pieces of land that was never cleared and filled, and it is a densely wooded wet land, perfect habitat. They don't migrate- they are here year round, and though after the kids have moved on I don't see Greta as much, they are both around. Their territory includes several neighboring yards and a small wetland across the river, but they nest in our yard. There are Red-shouldered hawks around- and boy, they hate each other. Also, Ospreys right next door, but they seem to just avoid each other. When Chester first showed up, I hooted back at him. He got all excited, but he has never fallen for it again. This time of year, with the fledging owlet hanging around, I see or hear them multiple times a day. I love owls!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Welcome & Test Posts All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: