The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hi from Atlanta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Welcome & Test Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moomin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Hi from Atlanta Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm new to the owl world. I live here in metro Atlanta-Stone Mountain area. My attraction to owls has arrived from hearing a Barred owl hooting every so often around where I live. I live in a wooded area with a small stream nearby. I hope to learn about getting a nesting box put up and need to learn about the Barred owl nesting habits and time of the year here.

I look forward to learning more and sharing my experience with you all.
owlboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get Barred owl nest box plans [url=here]http://www.owlpages.com/downloads.php[/url]. Try the 5th line down. Barred Owls start to nest this time of year. The best time to put up a box is in November. Sometimes, people put them up, and owls nest in them immediately. Other times, it can take a couple of years. It is important to have the Barred Owl box within 200' of water. They can be a little noisy, but they are very social. You can learn more about Barred Owls here.

Hopefully, this should get you started.
Moomin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that information! Hmm, well I would have to ask the property owner if I could set up a nesting box who owns the forest that is behind our back yard. That stream runs through it and is probably about a 2 min. walk from our yard down a hill. I guess that is too far right? I don't know if he would like us walking over to the box every so often to take a look.

I only picked the Barred owl because I have heard recordings of their sounds and know it was that bird. However, could there be another kind of owl in our area to attract where I might be able to set up a nesting box at the edge of our yard which is right near this forest?

Thanks for your help!
owlboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barred Owls like to nest close to water. But, if they have a hard time finding a place to nest, they will go further from water.

But, you should always ask the landowner first. People are usually not to happy to find it. Most people say yes when asked.

One of the advantages of owls is that they clean out rodents.
Brocke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to forum, i hope you will have great time here and i hope you will share your valuable experiences and information with us. Thanks
Moomin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brocke wrote:
Welcome to forum, i hope you will have great time here and i hope you will share your valuable experiences and information with us. Thanks

Thanks Brocke!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Welcome & Test Posts All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: