The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hey Folks^^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Welcome & Test Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kivia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Hey Folks^^ Reply with quote

I always love visiting the Owl Pages for owl information, so it was only a matter of time I joined the forums. xD

But anyways, hey everyone! My name is Kivia, and I must say that I'm looking forward to lurking around on here. I'm quite knowledgeable on the forum life already, as I am a moderator for a game called WolfQuest, as well as a moderator on the forum there. I first started with an infatuation for wolves, but I somehow grew more attracted to owls over the years.

I live in Delaware and am currently a senior in high school. I also volunteer at Tri-State Bird Rescue, where it has helped me work much closer to owls. It's exhilarating when you have the chance to feed Great Horned Owls. ;D

I enjoy drawing in my spare time, which mostly consists of owls. I also enjoy photography (my current avatar is a photo I took myself of a Barn Owl named Cosmo at Zooamerica). I'll probably be sharing my work with you guys on here^^
I also enjoy going out to my local park and bringing along my Barred Owl caller. I've had several Barred Owl encounters thanks to that caller, which I also happen to have videos of.

Alright, I think that's enough rambling. I'm very excited to learn more about owls here, and I hope to see you guys around!
owlboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Kivia! Glad to hear that you are now participating instead of lurking.

Look forward to you sharing your work and pictures on the forum. We always love pictures.

Barred owls are my favorite. I ran into one hiking about a week ago. Haven't had time to post pictures.
Kivia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barn Owls have always been my favorite, but that was before I started putting my focus on other owls instead of just Barn Owls. Barred Owls are probably my second favorite. ;D
I can't seem to find one of my videos, but I do have a picture from one of my Barred Owl encounters:
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab295/Kivtastic/CIMG2194.jpg
I'd definitely love to see some of your pics as well^^
owlboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do not take pictures. But, here is a picture of a Barred Owl we saw last week while hiking in the Catskill Mountains:

There are very few owls in the Catskill Mtns, so this one is a little more rare.
Kivia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so beautiful. <3

I've only come upon a wild owl only once by chance, which was a Barred Owl. I'm hoping to come across a Great Horned Owl next, because I know they're around here, judging by the locations of where Great Horned Owl patients come from when they come to Tri-State. But I've only begun owl watching this year, so I have many years ahead of me to seek out some wild owls. ;D
owlboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to get started is to use owl calls from our website. Go to a location where you believe that they are present. Play the call. Then wait a minute to see if they respond. If they don't respond, then move on to another location. If they do call back, then play it again. Soon, they will come to you to check you out. Remember to be patient. GHO can be found just about anywhere. Barred Owls are more of a deep forest owl, but they too can be found in parks. They rarely do well in areas where there are cars. Screech Owls can be found near fields. Hopefully, this should help you. Ask questions if you have problems.
Kivia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just went out a few hours ago to my local park and used my Barred Owl caller, and one did come out. It took him a while to start responding and calling back, but he eventually did.
I'll have to take a look at the other callers on the site; so far I have two callers, but I'd love to have more to try out and on different owls and not just Barred Owls (though trust me, I'd be happy with just Barred Owls^^). Thanks! =D
owlboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...so you are making progress! The best time to do this is at dusk or dawn. During the day, it is hard to get them to respond. You also need to remember that if it was easy to find them, everyone would be doing it. As time goes on, you will have a pretty good idea where to find them. The more you find, the easier to find more.

If you are going to play different owl calls at the same location, you need to start with the smallest owl first. Then move up to the larger owls. Since the Owl migration has started, I would play them in this order:

1. Saw-Whet Owls (migratory)
2. Eastern Screech Owl
3. Barred Owl
4. Great-Horned Owl

Remember that larger owls prey on smaller owls. So give yourself a gap of time before changing to the next larger owl.

One other thing to remember is that owls are habitual. This means that you can often see them at the same place and at the same time.

One other tip for searching during the day. If you heard birds screaming and hollering (bird mobbing), go investigate. Often times you will find a hawk or owl. Other birds don't like them, so they try to scare them off. It often starts with crows or blue jays. Then other birds will join in on mobbing the owl.

You can also look for owl pellets on the ground, or white bird poop on the ground/trees. Often times, there is an owl up in the tree.
owlboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an story from Owlpages on where to find barn owls in delaware: http://www.owlpages.com/news.php?article=574

Here is a pdf of Barred Owls in Delaware: http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/SiteCollectionDocuments/DNREC%20Portal/FAQ%20Barred%20Owl.pdf
Kivia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a wealth of information! Thank you very much again^^
I actually did notice that when the Barred Owl came, some jays began mobbing him. I never thought to use that as a method of finding owls, but now I know. ;D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Welcome & Test Posts All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: