The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
aloha from hawaii

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Welcome & Test Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bohemiansis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: aloha from hawaii Reply with quote

Hi all,
just popping in for a "test" and hello to all.
and just a wee bit about me:
have loved owls all my life, so much so, that they are one of my top three totems. (w/white buffalo calf & sea turtle). aaand, i got an owl tattoo several years ago.
in the past few months, i have had the pleasure of viewing my first internet live owl cam...Molly & McGee Royal of San Marcos, CA. the four owlets just recently fledged and a few days ago, the cam was shut down. needless to say, i am now suffering from withdrOWLals. which has led me to your awesome owl site.
so i'll be poking around and posting here and there and hopefully, make this one of my habitual stops when i surf around the web.
thanks for providing this wayward "owl" such a nice refuge!
Smile
owlboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

Those web-cams can be quite addicting.
bohemiansis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the welcome, owlboy!
it was really late last night when i typed my original post and i knew "internet live owl cam" just wasn't rightly worded, but i was too tired. so yes, web-cam is what i meant to say. lol. Rolling Eyes at self.
thanks again.
theowlette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in Hawaii, but moved to California for college. I wasn't interested in owls when I lived there, and now my family always tells me when they see owls, and last time I visited, took me to a spot where barn owls are frequently seen.

Welcome. I also followed Molly and McGee, as well as several other owlcams.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ann Schmidt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: owl cam Reply with quote

Audubon has a great cam on a pair of barn owls with 4 eggs (one is beginning to hatch) It's located in Orange County, southern Cali. if you want to take a peek, look up Starr Ranch. You won't be disappointed! This is the pairs' second clutch this season.
owlboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to the Starr Ranch Cam: http://www.starrranch.org/blog/?page_id=2

It is a streaming video in B&W. A lot of bandwidth is needed. Takes a little while before it starts. It will have a black screen before it starts.

There are three eggs as of this morning. I think the first owlet died.
Ann Schmidt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as of 3:35 pm June 21st, there was a picture posted with the owlett nibbling on a rat.
bohemiansis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the owlette: u lucky u lived Hawaii! i've seen many hawaiian owls (pueo) but never a barn owl...sure would love to though, now that i know they're around. didya ever post on Molly's chat or social stream?

Ann: thanks for the Starr scoop.

owlboy: thanks for the link. but it won't work on my mac. do you or anyone out there using a mac have any suggestions? because i got a fevah...and the only prescription is...MORE OWLCAM!
Ann Schmidt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very welcome. I had trouble getting the camera to load at first but that was quite awhile ago. If you can post to the site & ask Pete(resident biologist & camera guy)what you need to do for mac, he's very helpful. If not him, somebody will help. Good group!
owlboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had looked in the morning there appeared to be 3 eggs, and what appeared to be a dead owlet. I watched it for a while to see if the other owlet was around. When the moved around, and I didn't see it, I assumed that what was in the front of the screen was a dead owlet. Glad to see that is not the case. I should also note that the camera was on IR.

The time it takes to load will depending upon your Internet connection speed. It can take several minutes for a slower speed.
theowlette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember seeing any owls when I lived in Hawaii, but I wasn't interested in them until college. I did see a barn owl near Koko Head a few years ago when I went hiking. My family reports seeing pueo (short eared owls) all the time, though.

I have a mac, and I can see the webcam perfectly fine. I'm not sure what to tell you.

I don't normally post anywhere about owls other than here, so I never posted on the stream.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Welcome & Test Posts All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: