The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
oi, i'm new

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Welcome & Test Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninox strenua

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: oi, i'm new Reply with quote

I'm a zoology student in Melbourne Australia and I have realised that since mornings are not for me, i should turn my attention to night birds.

I have seen 3 species I have identified, 2 were sitting in the middle of the road while I was driving (Southern Boobook Ninox novaseelandiae and Tawny frogmouth Podargus strigoides) and a Powerful Owl (N. strenua) roosting on a trip to the Melbourne Botanic gardens.

I remember when I was a kid I used to hear frogmouths calling in the trees around my house, I didn't know what they were back then but know thast I know the call it is unmistakeable. There are houses where the forests used to be so no more owls where I came from Sad

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys are up to with your birdwatching and learning about these families I know nothing about.

Graham.
owlboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know that much about owls in your part of the world. But, our admin lives in Australia. Maybe Deane can provide you with more accurate information then I could.
owlpages
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham, welcome to the forum. Did you know that Tawny frogmouths are not owls? check out our page about them at http://www.owlpages.com/articles.php?section=Other+Owl+Stuff&title=Tawny+Frogmouth

The powerful owl is the most impressive bird I have seen, absolutely breathtaking! and the call of the Boobook is probably my favourite sound - so welcoming and friendly.

all the best,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Welcome & Test Posts All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: