Left Owl Owl Fantasy Forum
Discussion about Owls in Fiction and Fantasy
Right Owl

Recent Posts | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in | OwlPages.com | Owlers Forum

OwlPages Interview with Kathryn Lasky
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Guardians of Ga'Hoole
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owlpages
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: OwlPages Interview with Kathryn Lasky Reply with quote

Here it is folks, Kathryn Lasky answering the questions that YOU asked!

How long did it take to write the first Guardians of Ga'Hoole book?

The first book took the longest because I was trying to really set the main characters and the whole future course of the series. So that was about four months of writing and editing.

Where did you get the inspiration for the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series?

Well, my first idea was to do a non fiction book about owls. My husband Christopher Knight, a former national Geographic photographer, and I had done several non fiction books together illustrated with his photos. But Chris said that it would be awfully hard doing a non fiction book what with owls shy, rare to the point of endangered and that the best pictures would be at night. So lighting would be difficult. It was his idea that I try a fantasy book. In the beginning I thought I would just do one book. But when I sent the proposal into Scholastic Jean Feiwel, the editor in chief, called me up and said "This is not just one book. It's six". I was kind of shocked. I thought how on earth do I stretch this out to six? But now I am just starting book 13. So I guess I sort of figured it out.

Did you hope, on some level, that your use of owls would enlighten readers to respect nature more?

Maybe on some level. But I rarely write with a moral objective in mind. To me the most important thing is to tell a good story. If I can do that I think that enlightenment, respect of nature, etc. follows.

How did you research the books? Did you consult with owl experts?

I early on discovered the Owl Pages and it was enormously helpful. But I did a lot of research in libraries. I talked to some people at the Audubon Society. I live in Cambridge , Massachusetts and there are wonderful libraries here. So I used the Harvard libraries as well as the public ones.

What is your favorite Guardians of Ga'Hoole book?

That's like asking what is your favorite child. But I have to a admit that I enjoyed especially writing the legends trilogy, books 9, 10 and 11 - The First Collier, the Coming of Hoole and To Be a King (to be published in October) where I delved back into the ancient history of the owl kingdoms.

If you were an owl, what kind would you be? Or What owl are you most like?

I don't know which of the owl characters I am most like but I have a special fondness for Barn owls and Spotted owls.

Which Guardians of Ga'Hoole character are you most like?

As is said I don't know which one I am most like. I think they all have elements of my own personality, except for Twilight. Twilight is absolutely modelled on Muhammed Ali who has always been right up there as one of my all time favorite heroes.

Have you ever seen an owl in real life? If so, what species was it?

Yes, I have seen a Barred owl, a Screech and when I was in South Africa last year I think I saw a bunch of Spotted Eagle owls in a tree but it was at night and very dark - no moon at all.

Do you have a favorite species of real owl? If so, which one?

I think my favorite owl species is the Barn Owl. I find something ghostly and beautiful about those white, almost heart shaped faces with the black eyes.

How many Ga'Hoole books are you planning to write?

Well, I'm not really sure. It just depends on where my imagination leads me. After the Legends trilogy, I will resume the story of Soren and the rest of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole.

Do you plan to include albino owls in future Guardians of Ga'Hoole books?

I am seriously thinking about it. I also am thinking about the melanistic owls. they fascinate me.

Which books will be included in the Guardians of Ga'Hoole movie? Is it going to be live action, cgi, or animated?

The movie is going to be cgi and they are right now planning on using a lot of the owls from the Harry Potter movies. It is the same movie company Warner Brothers and the same producer. The first movie, or what we hope will be the first of many, will include books 1 through 3.

How do you feel about the precarious plight of the Spotted Owl in North America? Did it influence your decision to use this particular species in your latest book?

I feel awful of course about their plight but it did not influence my decision to use them in my books. The first Spotted owl in the series, introduced in book #2 The Journey, was Otulissa, who is my favorite character to write about because she is so complex. But I decided to make the first king Hoole a Spotted Owl because I thought I wanted to show that other species than Soren, a Tyto alba, could be heroes and leaders. You know, sort of spread the glory amongst the species.

Do you get lots of fan e-mail? Do you get time to read them all?

I get tons of email and I have to admit that I cannot read all of them myself. Sorry! But I feel most people would prefer that I keep working on the series and not be totally consumed with reading fan email. I do get detailed reports from the person who handles my email and keeps me very informed on fans' criticisms, praises, questions etc. And I take all this into consideration when I write. So don't think I don't appreciate the enthusiasm even though I don't have time to read every one.

Now that you are aware of the 'Owl Fantasy Forum', would you consider visiting from time-to-time to see how your fans react to your books?

Oh absolutely. I just have to take this time right now to salute all of you for your thoughtful participation in this forum and especially Deane Lewis for the masterful job on having an extraordinary site on which I have come to rely and recommend to others.

Last edited by owlpages on Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Laughing Owl Lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow this is great! thanks Deane for working on this
High Tyto Soren

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Deane. You are so awesome!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shadow_Wings

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,fantastic ^^ Thanks Deane,and you too Kathryn Lasky!!
Adain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. My pathetic question was answered.

AWESOME!!! =DDDDDDDDDDD
Star Wars Owl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yupee!!!

I got my answer. Rock on! Rock on! Rock on! Rock on!
Cool

THANK'S DEANE
Laughing Owl Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my question got answer woot!
Tyto, chronos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That is almost overwhelming! She said she discovered the owlpages early on!! I know I'm kind of a noob, but W00T! Cool
Adain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyto, chronos wrote:
Wow! That is almost overwhelming! She said she discovered the owlpages early on!! I know I'm kind of a noob, but W00T! Cool

Well then, we're all n00bs! =DDDDD -squee- -boogies-
Queen Siv

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I get an interview with Kathryn Lasky? Shocked
Adain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queen Siv;

Welcome to the Fantasy Forum! It was a few months ago when Deane set up the interview with Kathryn Lasky; the questions that were listed were all questions that us members had. Very Happy Talk to Deane (owlpages) a bit; you can send him a private message or something; he might be able to set you up with an interview!

Might I call you Siv? xD

Adain
Queen Siv

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Thx Reply with quote

Yes Siv is fine. I'll talk 2 him when I get a chance. I luv Kathryn, she rox the owl world! Very Happy
Adain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good.

And I totally agree, as should a lot of other people on this forum. -glares expectantly around-
Queen Siv

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True True True. Luv the pic of Ginger =). I'll ask the person about the interview if i dont 4 get. lol. The movie should be in April of... 07 i believe
Adain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queen Siv wrote:
True True True. Luv the pic of Ginger =). I'll ask the person about the interview if i dont 4 get. lol. The movie should be in April of... 07 i believe

Was that it? Oh, btw, I'm pretty sure the owl in my av. is Eglantine, though I suppose only Lasky would know.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Guardians of Ga'Hoole All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: