Left Owl Owl Fantasy Forum
Discussion about Owls in Fiction and Fantasy
Right Owl
Recent Posts | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in | OwlPages.com | Owlers Forum

John Titor
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TCS.Bookman
Moderator


Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 5025
Location: I don't really know anymore. Woops!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: John Titor Reply with quote

Who here has ever heard of John Titor? I have a slight obsession with the man. His story fascinates me. If you don't know, John Titor was a self-proclaimed time traveler who first appeared posting on the internet in the year 2000, claiming to be from the year 2036.

In the time spent online, he responded to questions posed by the community, his answers being straight-forward and in-depth, often going into his home life in the year 2036, the exact mechanics of time travel and even posting photos of his alleged time machine, the instructions manual, and his military insignia.

After several months of posting, however, he said a single farewell and disappeared from the internet forever. He remains a mystery.

I just love reading about him and thinking about the things he said. I don't think he was real, I'm pretty sure it was just a hoax, but everything he said was non-falsifiable and physicists have looked at what he said about how his time machine worked and said it was plausible (provided the science had been created to give him the conditions he needed, including basically a miniature black hole). So it's really fun to think about.

You guys have any thoughts on the man? He's really quotable too. Here's my favorite quote from him:

John Titor wrote:
You do not rewrite history. I can only affect what happens here just as easily as you can. Why do people in this time period worry so much about time travelers destroying their world line when they have no problem doing it themselves every day?

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
agentklaw



Joined: 28 May 2013
Posts: 388

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just searched him up, and it's quite incredible. I wouldn't be surprised if we made a time machine in twenty years. Even if he was a hoax, he was a smart and creative one.
_________________
-----------------
YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AgentKlaw
DA:
http://klawtech.deviantart.com/
Surprise!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUrzIUC8g_M
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TCS.Bookman
Moderator


Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 5025
Location: I don't really know anymore. Woops!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a pretty fun guy to research, huh? Endless hours of entertainment just browsing the internet, not to mention all the discussions and clashing opinions to look at. It's kind of fun to think about the idea of time travel, too. I like the idea of world lines. It cleans up the complications of time travel a lot and make it seem more plausible and less of a threat as far as paradoxes go.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
agentklaw



Joined: 28 May 2013
Posts: 388

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though time travel is neat, I much more enjoy separate universes, like in Bioshock. It amazes me at the fact that one small thing does or doesn't happen in another universe.
_________________
-----------------
YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AgentKlaw
DA:
http://klawtech.deviantart.com/
Surprise!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUrzIUC8g_M
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
>_Mikey_<
Moderator


Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Posts: 9919
Location: Avalon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's definitely interesting... but I feel like if time machines were to really exist in the future and people are using them to access this era/other points in time, they'd try their best to keep it secret as to hide the fact that they have a machine to be stolen from or to be interrogated or attacked, etc... a lot of negative possibilities, basically

if this person did so happen to be from the future then he certainly had guts to be open about it, I know if I had a time machine I'd never want anybody that I was visiting to know.

_________________
take some time to enjoy the stormy weather
last fm
deviantart
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
CommanderEVE



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Posts: 1315

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of him until now, until I decided to resreach his name and read most of the wiki page on him. He is indeed interesting. And it makes me think of what my science teacher said to me back in 2004-5, he said that if time travel was possible in the near future, you would have seen then by now. As of course, they would have travels back in time, unless they were very discreet about it.

The reason why time travel is such an interesting subject is because it is human nature to be curious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TCS.Bookman
Moderator


Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 5025
Location: I don't really know anymore. Woops!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>_Mikey_< wrote:
that's definitely interesting... but I feel like if time machines were to really exist in the future and people are using them to access this era/other points in time, they'd try their best to keep it secret as to hide the fact that they have a machine to be stolen from or to be interrogated or attacked, etc... a lot of negative possibilities, basically

if this person did so happen to be from the future then he certainly had guts to be open about it, I know if I had a time machine I'd never want anybody that I was visiting to know.


Many people have asked a similar question, one of his many responses:

"Yes, I have considered it but it is very easy to remain hidden behind a veil of disbelief. The people who understand what they are seeing are not aggressive.Everyone else just finds them entertaining."


CommanderEVE wrote:
The reason why time travel is such an interesting subject is because it is human nature to be curious.


Ahh, but here's the fun part. Titor explained the nature of time as being like a tree. Say you have a single timeline. Now, in that timeline, both you and a mass murderer are attending thee state fair. That line splits into two timelines then, one in which he kills you, and one in which he doesn't. Think of it like that, except worldlines split from every possible variable -- coffee or orange juice this morning, glancing over to the left or right, the slightest movement. And it is all over the universe.

Each of these timelines, according to him, is a world line, and there are an infinite number of them. So when he was traveling, he was always visiting a separate worldline, which varied more the farther he traveled.

"Imagine your path through time is through a cone. The farther away from the center of the cone, the more differences you will see in the worldline. The C204 begins to "break away" at about 60 years. This means the level of confidence drops rapidly after 60 years of travel and the worldline divergence increases. In other words, if I wanted to go back 2000 years and meet Christ, there is a better than average chance I would end up on a worldline where he was never born."

So in all likelihood, other worldlines with time travelers HAVE arrived, just not necessarily in our exact worldines considering there are trillions upon trillions of them just for this very second here.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
agentklaw



Joined: 28 May 2013
Posts: 388

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Each of these timelines, according to him, is a world line, and there are an infinite number of them. So when he was traveling, he was always visiting a separate worldline, which varied more the farther he traveled.


Wouldn't that make him more of a universe traveler, not a time traveler?
When you travel through time, you go back in time, not to another universe or "world line".
_________________
-----------------
YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AgentKlaw
DA:
http://klawtech.deviantart.com/
Surprise!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUrzIUC8g_M
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TCS.Bookman
Moderator


Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 5025
Location: I don't really know anymore. Woops!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not he's visiting his own world line, he IS going back in time. The world lines are not different universes, just different versions of the same thing. As he said, he only traveled back as far as he could go without the level of confidence (similarity) going over 1%, since he was, after all, retrieving a relic from 1975.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CommanderEVE



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Posts: 1315

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. It is like; whatever path you take in life will lead you down a certain branch of that tree. I have heard of this before, it was explained by someone else.

But then if he travelled to a world line that did not include him in it, he would be making new world lines that branch of the world line already created.

Indeed, because the further you get away from the ‘trunk’ of the world line of which you first originated from, the different your life becomes.

Now that is interesting, I just explained it to my friend who is next to me. And then he cut me off while I was talking, which makes me wonder that another time line was made just there. So, if there were time travellers, they would be very hard to spot and not to mention they would be all over the place. I wonder if time travellers are mistaken for Guardian Angles and what not. I also wonder if some time lines cross over each other, I would also think that two different people’s time lines would meet or cross over. So it might not be exactly like a tree, but also like a junction. As for the tree, I guess the branch ends are where people die, unless objects also have their own world lines.

Also, do you think he could travel into he future? Because from as far as I can see it seems like he can only travel along world lines that already exist, so what if the future world lines do not exist yet. If they do already exist then that would mean that are paths are re-laid out for us and that we have a choice of which one to follow. This, meaning he can 'travel the world line. Or he may not be able to travel along world lines that are still growing, as he said it was like a tree. And branches of a tree grow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TCS.Bookman
Moderator


Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 5025
Location: I don't really know anymore. Woops!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to answer the best I can using quotes from him directly (I have a copy of all of John Titor's posts) so some of these 'answers' are going to seem a little disjointed since they're actual posts from him responding to similar questions with different wordings.
Keep in mind, he posted over the period of several months, so most everything you could possibly ask about him already has a response. I just have the documents to quickly find what those responses would be. I can tell, this will be fun. Very Happy
I've got a pretty good grip on everything he's ever said though, so to make it clear I'll try to explain it as briefly as I can and then italicize around what he's said.


CommanderEVE wrote:
But then if he travelled to a world line that did not include him in it, he would be making new world lines that branch of the world line already created.


Technically, all the worldlines that have occurred or ever will, including the results of those worldlines that develop time travel, already exist.

"There is a saying where I come from, "Every possible thing that can happen or will happen has already happened somewhere"."


CommanderEVE wrote:
So, if there were time travellers, they would be very hard to spot and not to mention they would be all over the place. I wonder if time travellers are mistaken for Guardian Angles and what not.


Several people asked him about UFOs.

"No new information there (on UFOs and aliens). I find that an interesting subject myself. Personally, I think "UFOs" might be time travelers with very sophisticated distortion units. But that might be a bit wacky."

He was also asked if he'd met any other time travelers in this wordline.

"No, I haven't met any other time travelers here and although from my perspective that's highly unlikely, it's not impossible."


CommanderEVE wrote:
I also wonder if some time lines cross over each other, I would also think that two different people’s time lines would meet or cross over. So it might not be exactly like a tree, but also like a junction. As for the tree, I guess the branch ends are where people die, unless objects also have their own world lines.


Well, from what I can tell, the worldlines are actually branches of existence, not just the perspectives of people.
So a wordline wouldn't end when someone died, it would instead continue, branching off depending on the reactions of your death, and how the rest of the world runs without you.


CommanderEVE wrote:
Also, do you think he could travel into he future? Because from as far as I can see it seems like he can only travel along world lines that already exist, so what if the future world lines do not exist yet. If they do already exist then that would mean that are paths are re-laid out for us and that we have a choice of which one to follow. This, meaning he can 'travel the world line. Or he may not be able to travel along world lines that are still growing, as he said it was like a tree. And branches of a tree grow.


Yes, he can travel to the future.

(someone else's past question)If this worldline is 2 percent divergent from your worldline, how do you get home? If you go forward from here to 2036, won't the divergence approach infinity?

"Yes, this is true. If I go forward on this worldline, the future will not be my future. I get home by going back to 1975 before I arrived and then going forward to 2036."

"Yes, you can travel forward in time. No, you do not need an "invite" from the future."

"Yes, you can travel into the future and it takes less energy than going into the past."




Here's another quote by him I like.

"This worldline is not mine but it looks very similar. It may be compared to reading two books that are the same. I can jump back and forth between them and still see the same story."
_________________


Last edited by TCS.Bookman on Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CommanderEVE



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Posts: 1315

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I think there must be something floating out there that would have skipped his mind, I just need to find it, but he is no longer here. Funny, if he did exist, he would be watching if he has the ability to go to different world lines. But that is if this is all true, if not, then his argument cannot be completely flawless, as he would have had to pull this out from his own head. Indeed, it will be fun. ;3

Gwendolyn wrote:
Technically, all the world lines that have occurred or ever will, including the results of those world lines that develop time travel, already exist. .


--"There is a saying where I come from, "Every possible thing that can happen or will happen has already happened somewhere"."--

I see, so this means that he carefully walks along these world lines without changing anything that can affect the future? As in the film’ Back to the Future’ which demonstrates what I am saying. Although, it is possible that the film I have referencing is not good enough to back my argument. But it is just a theoretical thought from what I know about time travel.

Gwendolyn wrote:
Several people asked him about UFOs.

--"No new information there (on UFOs and aliens). I find that an interesting subject myself. Personally, I think "UFOs" might be time travellers with very sophisticated distortion units. But that might be a bit wacky."--

He was also asked if he'd met any other time travellers in this word line.

--"No, I haven't met any other time travellers here and although from my perspective that's highly unlikely, it's not impossible."--


I see. So, I am guessing that ‘distortion units’ must be like jamming devices but to the eye, so that they cannot be spotted?

And so, I guess that means it is not possible for word lines to cross over or meet with each other.

Gwendolyn wrote:
Well, from what I can tell, the world lines are actually branches of existence, not just the perspectives of people.

Worldlines wouldn't end when someone dies, as they aren't reliant on the existence of a person. They continue since they would continue to "map" out the results of that person's death on the universe, and there would be worldlines for whether that person did die or not, or even if their death happened at slightly different times.
Sorry if the carnival metaphor wasn't quite clear on that. So basically, on the worldline in which you die, that worldline would continue to split; say, whether/when your body is discovered, how your family reacts, whether the murderer is caught, etc etc.


I had a feeling that each person had their own tree, but I guess that someone being born would just branch off from the world line of their mother. I see, so even after the person is dead, there is rippling effect that still has an effect on the universe. Also, how would this change if there was an afterlife? And what if they went to another plan? Is it just another world line?

Also, how does the universe ‘remember’ all of this? Is energy ‘etched’ into the universe and so it remains there forever? I read somewhere that they degrade over time. So eventually, they fade back to?

Gwendolyn wrote:
Yes, he can travel to the future.

(someone else's past question)If this worldline is 2 percent divergent from your worldline, how do you get home? If you go forward from here to 2036, won't the divergence approach infinity?

--"Yes, this is true. If I go forward on this worldline, the future will not be my future. I get home by going back to 1975 before I arrived and then going forward to 2036."--

--"Yes, you can travel forward in time. No, you do not need an "invite" from the future."--

--"Yes, you can travel into the future and it takes less energy than going into the past."

Here's another quote by him I like.

--"This worldline is not mine but it looks very similar. It may be compared to reading two books that are the same. I can jump back and forth between them and still see the same story."--


And how does he keep track of what world line he is on and what to go back to, if there are a trillion different world lines in just that single second he wants to get back to?

Interesting. I wonder what world line is going to get the invention of the time machine. I also wonder if it is possible for him get stuck and killed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TCS.Bookman
Moderator


Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 5025
Location: I don't really know anymore. Woops!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CommanderEVE wrote:
I see, so this means that he carefully walks along these world lines without changing anything that can affect the future? As in the film’ Back to the Future’ which demonstrates what I am saying. Although, it is possible that the film I have referencing is not good enough to back my argument. But it is just a theoretical thought from what I know about time travel.


No, he can affect the future in that his very existence promises that there are other wordlines mapping out every action he could have taken in our time. In Back to the Future, the "grandfather paradox" existed. To anyone who doesn't know, the grandfather paradox basically goes like this:

If you're a time traveler and you go back in time and kill your grandfather, would you cease to exist? And if you ceased to exist, would you ever have existed in order to kill your grandfather?

According to the worldline theory, there is no paradox because if you went back in time and killed your grandfather, you would be killing someone else's grandfather and there would stem a worldline in which another "you" never existed.

"The grandfather paradox is impossible. In fact, all paradox is impossible. The Everett-Wheeler-Graham or multiple world theory is correct. All possible quantum states, events, possibilities and outcomes are real, eventual and occurring. The chances of everything happening someplace at sometime in the superverse is 100%. (For all you scientists out there, if Schrödinger's cat had a time machine, he might not be in the box at all.)
Therefore, there is a worldline where you are alive and another where you have gone back in time to kill your relative."



CommanderEVE wrote:
I see. So, I am guessing that ‘distortion units’ must be like jamming devices but to the eye, so that they cannot be spotted?


The gravity distortion unit (or displacement unit as he sometimes calls it) is the time machine. He lists the basic components of the machine.

"I saw the posting requesting the basic systems for a gravity distortion system that will allow time travel. Here they are:
1. Magnetic housing units for dual microsignularities.
2. Electron injection manifold to alter mass and gravity of microsingularities.
3. Cooling and x-ray venting system
4. Gravity sensors (VGL system)
5. Main clocks (4 cesium units)
6. Main computer units (3)"



CommanderEVE wrote:
I had a feeling that each person had their own tree, but I guess that someone being born would just branch off from the world line of their mother. I see, so even after the person is dead, there is rippling effect that still has an effect on the universe.


Nah, people don't have trees, it's more like there is one huge tree of existence that spreads according to the actions of the world. And yes, people have everlasting impacts on the world as there will always be a separate worldline spreading trillions of other worldlines just because of the birth of a single person.


CommanderEVE wrote:
Also, how would this change if there was an afterlife?


No idea. I searched his posts for the keywords "afterlife," "heaven" and "hell" but the only thing I got were questions of whether he believed in God (which he does).


CommanderEVE wrote:
And what if they went to another plan? Is it just another world line?


Another plane, you mean? Like another universe? I don't know. Maybe all universes are connected by time, or maybe they have totally separate timelines. He uses the word "universe" a lot so searching it as a keyword didn't bring useful results. I'm on a bus right now, and will be for the next twenty hours or so, so I think I'm going to finally sit down and read every single post (there's tons of them) and if I find an answer I'll say so.


CommanderEVE wrote:
Also, how does the universe ‘remember’ all of this? Is energy ‘etched’ into the universe and so it remains there forever? I read somewhere that they degrade over time. So eventually, they fade back to?


I can't find any of the posts about that with keywords. Again, I'll say so if I find something while going through all the posts. Personally I think since time is the fourth dimension, just like space it's eternal.


CommanderEVE wrote:
And how does he keep track of what world line he is on and what to go back to, if there are a trillion different world lines in just that single second he wants to get back to?


It's done by the machine tracking the "variable gravity lock."

"When traveling to other worldlines there is a system of clocks and gravity sensors in the machine that sample the environment before dropping out. It's called VGL, (variable gravity lock)."

"Inside the displacement unit are a series of very sensitive clocks and gravity sensors. This system is called the VGL (variable gravity lock). In simple terms, before the unit "leaves" a worldline, it takes a base reading of the local gravity and adjusts the Tipler sinusoid to "lock" into that position."

"The computer units and gravity sensors "record" your trip and you are quite easily able to return to your point of origin. I am aware that research is being done on faster units with more accurate clocks. I imagine that they will be able to go back farther with a higher degree of divergence confidence."

However, apparently the VGL is not entirely perfect, nor needs to be.

"In that sense, there are an infinite number of worldlines waiting for me to return with the computer. If I can get to one of them, I have completed my mission.
It would seem then that another time traveler that looks like you could arrive on your worldline of origin with another IBM computer and no one would know the difference."


CommanderEVE wrote:
I also wonder if it is possible for him get stuck and killed.


I can't find it now since the keywords "die" "kill" "died" and "killed" are used very often, but basically there are definitely worldlines in which he has died and in which he hasn't.

Replace him getting killed and him going nuts and killing people, and I do have this one, which displays basically the same principle:

"On some other worldline, I am an insane time traveler causing destruction and death while (name of forum member who confronts John on a regular basis) chases me with his band of devoted followers. However, on this one, I am not."

He says that the existence of this worldline is certain because there are worldlines for every possibility.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CommanderEVE



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Posts: 1315

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwendolyn wrote:
[No, he can affect the future in that his very existence promises that there are other wordlines mapping out every action he could have taken in our time. In Back to the Future, the "grandfather paradox" existed. To anyone who doesn't know, the grandfather paradox basically goes like this:

If you're a time traveller and you go back in time and kill your grandfather, would you cease to exist? And if you ceased to exist, would you ever have existed in order to kill your grandfather?

According to the worldline theory, there is no paradox because if you went back in time and killed your grandfather, you would be killing someone else's grandfather and there would stem a worldline in which another "you" never existed.

"The grandfather paradox is impossible. In fact, all paradox is impossible. The Everett-Wheeler-Graham or multiple world theory is correct. All possible quantum states, events, possibilities and outcomes are real, eventual and occurring. The chances of everything happening someplace at some time in the superverse is 100%. (For all you scientists out there, if Schrödinger's cat had a time machine, he might not be in the box at all.)
Therefore, there is a worldline where you are alive and another where you have gone back in time to kill your relative."


I understand now, so there is a worldline for absolutely everything.

Gwendolyn wrote:
The gravity distortion unit (or displacement unit as he sometimes calls it) is the time machine. He lists the basic components of the machine.

"I saw the posting requesting the basic systems for a gravity distortion system that will allow time travel. Here they are:
1. Magnetic housing units for dual microsignularities.
2. Electron injection manifold to alter mass and gravity of microsingularities.
3. Cooling and x-ray venting system
4. Gravity sensors (VGL system)
5. Main clocks (4 cesium units)
6. Main computer units (3)"


I saw this list, it is pretty much straightforward. I have been watching too much Star Trek, and so I have seen these words used before.

Gwendolyn wrote:
Nah, people don't have trees, it's more like there is one huge tree of existence that spreads according to the actions of the world. And yes, people have everlasting impacts on the world as there will always be a separate worldline spreading trillions of other worldliness just because of the birth of a single person.


I guess these actions would be wars, and events like 9/11.

Gwendolyn wrote:
No idea. I searched his posts for the keywords "afterlife," "heaven" and "hell" but the only thing I got were questions of whether he believed in God (which he does).


It would make sense why he would believe in God. Because he has seen what happens when a country becomes Godless, so, in his time, that is why everyone has become together with God again. And, this would have been the first that people have abandoned God, but the second, as they would have seen what happens without him in the people’s hearts.

Gwendolyn wrote:
Another plane, you mean? Like another universe? I don't know. Maybe all universes are connected by time, or maybe they have totally separate timelines. He uses the word "universe" a lot so searching it as a keyword didn't bring useful results. I'm on a bus right now, and will be for the next twenty hours or so, so I think I'm going to finally sit down and read every single post (there's tons of them) and if I find an answer I'll say so.


I see. So I guess, from this, that there is only one universe that has parallel universes that are of the same universe, but on different worldliness.

Gwendolyn wrote:
I can't find any of the posts about that with keywords. Again, I'll say so if I find something while going through all the posts. Personally I think since time is the fourth dimension, just like space it's eternal.


That is interesting. The truth could be a little bit beyond our understanding. It could be that the energy is alive or something, which goes back to whether or not God is the energy or something to kin.

Gwendolyn wrote:
It's done by the machine tracking the "variable gravity lock."

"When traveling to other worldlines there is a system of clocks and gravity sensors in the machine that sample the environment before dropping out. It's called VGL, (variable gravity lock)."

"Inside the displacement unit are a series of very sensitive clocks and gravity sensors. This system is called the VGL (variable gravity lock). In simple terms, before the unit "leaves" a worldline, it takes a base reading of the local gravity and adjusts the Tipler sinusoid to "lock" into that position."

"The computer units and gravity sensors "record" your trip and you are quite easily able to return to your point of origin. I am aware that research is being done on faster units with more accurate clocks. I imagine that they will be able to go back farther with a higher degree of divergence confidence."

However, apparently the VGL is not entirely perfect, nor needs to be.

"In that sense, there are an infinite number of worldlines waiting for me to return with the computer. If I can get to one of them, I have completed my mission.
It would seem then that another time traveler that looks like you could arrive on your worldline of origin with another IBM computer and no one would know the difference."
]


I see, so it is like a GPS, but instead of roads, there are worldlines. But I remember him saying that it is not possible to get exactly 100% where he wants, as when he ‘lands’ in a worldline, there are minor differences.

Gwendolyn wrote:
I can't find it now since the keywords "die" "kill" "died" and "killed" are used very often, but basically there are definitely worldlines in which he has died and in which he hasn't.

Replace him getting killed and him going nuts and killing people, and I do have this one, which displays basically the same principle:

"On some other worldline, I am an insane time traveler causing destruction and death while (name of forum member who confronts John on a regular basis) chases me with his band of devoted followers. However, on this one, I am not."

He says that the existence of this worldline is certain because there are worldlines for every possibility.


Indeed, because then that would go back to your first point.

Oh, sorry to say, that is some scary s#@t. He has a lot of power; I bet in that wordlines, he is causing all sorts of havoc. This could be proof that worldline cannot cross over, because with him knowing such knowledge about time and space and for him to be insane in one wordlines, he would have come over by now. But he has not, which is a good thing.

Humm… if he has made this all up, he is a very intelligent man, maybe slightly on the crazy side.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TCS.Bookman
Moderator


Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 5025
Location: I don't really know anymore. Woops!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's either a dedicated troll or a deeply insane man, or maybe even a real time traveler if you believe that, but no matter what you believe about him there's no denying that the man behind those posts was a genius.


"Besides the occasional school or office shooting and violent video game, I can't help but think about that experiment every time I see someone stranded on the highway or walking on the side of the road carrying an empty gas can. I ask my parents (our present day) why we don't stop and help and they tell me they are afraid of being attacked and of the possible consequences of helping someone they don't know. I would respond by pointing out that it's our duty to help someone, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because we can never know that person's true worth and the risk of losing them is too great. I didn't fully understand their stubbornness until I saw a news story about a doctor who was sued for applying emergency first aid to an accident victim who died. I believe your society is biologically geared for self-destruction. However, I feel strongly that does not excuse me from my responsibilities as a temporary member of this community."
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.