Left Owl Owl Fantasy Forum
Discussion about Owls in Fiction and Fantasy
Right Owl
Recent Posts | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in | OwlPages.com | Owlers Forum

Roleplay?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> GoG Role Play Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ammeg of Kiel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Roleplay? Reply with quote

Right..., so, I used to be an avid RP'er here. I'd like to get back into it.

But first, I need people who will do it with me. *coughGwendolyncough*

So, anyone have ideas or anyone wanna join?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY MOUTH OPENED SO FRINKIN WIDE WHEN I SAW YOUR NAME
OF COURSE I'M IN Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEEEE, pick meeee! Very Happy

I will be on my break soon. Razz
Arthas

Location: Beside the moon and a couple of strange triangle shaped objects

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I will tag along too...but I won't be so frequent(I have my exams coming)...if tht's okay... Wink
Ammeg of Kiel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see I've been missed! Gwen's totally the best to RP with.

Soo, mah peoplez, ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, thanks Ammeg Very Happy

Hmm...I have to chew it over a bit. I like the idea of bringing more supernatural stuff into the story. I feel like the GoG ending was premature because, well...we get a taste of blue dragon owls and demons, but it abruptly stops there.

Whatever we do, though, it needs a main goal, a definitive ending. A problem I see with these RPs is that they're so complex that people quit near the end since there's no easy conclusion. That's not to say I want to plan out the ending, just, we need to have an idea of how to get there. "The evil spirit dies," or "The main characters find the treasure." The ones where we come up with a cool idea and rush in blind and make up every single element as we go along tend to die pretty fast. Improvisation is the most exciting part of an RP but going overboard on the ambiguity crushes it. I've been a part of too many RPs with too many possible endings where the different participants wanted it to end a certain way or had their own storyline running in their head, and the disconnection caused everyone to lose the story.

Our characters may have the same enemy, but they never seem to have a main goal. So when we do come up with an idea, we need to all agree on what we're aiming for.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is because the last books beyond book 6 where all fillers and it is possible that Kathryn Lasky either got tired of it or got bored. If only she planned things out a bit more on those last books, nothing would have feel short the way it did.

We should outline how the story is going to go, who is in it. We need a strong beginning with a lot of possibilities and an outline of an ending so roleplayers have an idea of how things are going to flow. Although, doing it this way makes the roleplay very predictable and we do not want that, we want a roleplay that is fresh and exciting. Yes, I have noticed that we have done that for the past two roleplays I have been, so much the second one as I still need to get back to that, I was busy. It is that I find that roleplayers do not want to sit around and thorough a solid plot. Before we make a roleplay it should be solid, we should spend some time in a thread and spill are ideas, discuss them and then make a roleplay out of it, plan how things are going to go who is going to do what with what character and so on.

I know that this time around I am going to play with one of my other characters.
TCS.Bookman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I quite agree with that. If you're doing a collaborative story, then you all know the plot and have talked with one another and engineered the characters together. Roleplays are far more improvisational which is what makes it so fun. It's the surprising twists and turns brought on my other characters and feeling of control in participation that I enjoy. I just think we need to have a read end goal.

Because see...if we start a role play off with say, magic leaking into the world that is releasing all sorts of unpredictable energies and monsters, we have a good start. We play long enough, and we figure out, okay, we need to stop the flow of magic, right? Well, where is it coming from? Is someone causing it, or was it brought on by a disaster? Is it from a crack in the ground? If it is, how do we close it? Who's stopping us? Where does the crevice lead? What happens when it's shut? What's happening to our characters as they work? What if some of our characters don't see a problem with letting the magen stay? What if there's another way to shut it off?

Hypothetically, if we did that, I would say that before the RP we would first solidify: the magic is coming from a canyon created by a large earthquake. It doesn't lead anywhere exactly, instead just acting as a vein for magen to naturally escape from deep underground. To close it our characters must ally with a magical animal that can mend the earth. However, some owls have obtained the ability to use the magen and so want the magic to keep coming. In addition, the closing of the vein would mean any magen and magical creatures escaping to the higher world would disappear.

It doesn't mean we know who all our characters are. We don't know who the magical animal is, what it is, or where to find it. We don't even know if this creature would cooperate, or not like it because it would mean they would disappear. We don't know the specifics of who can control the magen. We don't know if there's any materials needed to complete the spell to close the crevice. We don't know any of this. But we do at least know our goals: find the creature that can close the vein, get the materials to do it, and finally complete the act.

That wasn't really an idea for an RP, just an example, but we could go that direction. Or we can keep thinking on it. I'm still coming up with stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I wrote the paragraph I was a bit unsure myself, because with roleplays they can be done in many different styles. Some people like it one way while one likes it another, I have role-played with many people and they all have their own styles. But I like there to be strong commutation between all the role players and to know exactly what is going to be done.

Yes, that is true, because with that it is very open ended. Indeed, those are all self-explanatory, when there is a problem it needs to be fixed. It is also basic team building skills.

As for my ideas I have none at the moment and I do not think people will like the ideas I have.
Arthas

Location: Beside the moon and a couple of strange triangle shaped objects

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about we start the RP with a lot of action...like the only surviving owls of our forest are the three of us(being me,Gwen and Ammeg)...and we are all pretty exhausted and badly wounded...and we are being chased by some high ranked pure ones...much like the last airbender(where Aang was being chased by the fire-benders)...where the owls of our forest are the ones who have a role in some prophecy which could eventually see the end of the tyrannous rule of the pure ones once and the downfall of Eve...this could be used as a basis...this idea may feel like a dumb one...I don't know...this is something which occurred in my mind that's all...or does this idea sound more like the LOTG plot???
CommanderEVE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be interesting, a post-apocalyptic world of Ga’hoole. I guess we could start the roleplay as our characters escaping what ever happened to the world and then later struggle to survive, think the Walking Dead but with owls, and no zombie owls, but something else. Avian flu. The only problem I see with this is that we have to somehow keep it flowing. Like the Walking Dead (Since I have read the comics up to volume 3). The group of survivors are always faced with problem after problem and it is interesting to see how they make their way through it, because it is always unexpected. But, if where to say that the Pure Ones completely took over; it would end up like the film, ‘The Postman (Kevin Costner, 1997). Also, guys, Eve is not the only character I have; I have two others, Zoltus and Ignite. They both would be fit for survivors. Hehe I could imagine Ignite being all cool and loud about it as usual and Zoltus freaking out in his corner. Unfortunately, Eve is the only bad butt bird I have. I think role-players around here have had enough of Eve’s authoritarian ways. But if you guys really want to, I will role-play as her as she seems quite popular. But then someone else would have to be the bad guy, unless the enemy is known… wooo, spooky.

Yeps, my thoughts on a plate. I usually chip with my ideas in when I get the inspiration, which is usually sparked by someone else's posts that reply to the main topic at hand.

Eh, and my spell checker doesn't know 'The'. Neutral
Shadowstriker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on my RPG skills and can get rather 'decent' posts up, mind if I join in?
---
What if we had an RPG based on the northern region. Perhaps and evil witch makes the ice melt [or even make it too cold for the owls] and the evil witch owl could also be part hagsfiend. Just an idea I've had for a while.

Kamikaze airplanes in the sky
Are we going down or will we fly?
Ammeg of Kiel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course not. Hmm, well, I don't wanna do the first post. if anyone has any definite ideas, we can jump right in. Really too lazy to read evrything above...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, Ammeg. Too lazy to read all that pesky text!

I think we should do a dystopian or apocalyptic scenario, if we could. Maybe throw some magen in there somehow. Soren started out in Aggies, we could set ours far enough in the future for another society to set in with all the flaws...like Eve said, it'd be interested to start off with escape.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, because desperation does weird things to people. So why else would there be a weird, almost cult like society to seep in to the world when it has all rotted?

Me thinks I will role-play with Zoltus in this one, he's a northern hawk owl and an ex-Guardian/ free flier. I will need to set up his page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> GoG Role Play Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: