Left Owl Owl Fantasy Forum
Discussion about Owls in Fiction and Fantasy
Right Owl
Recent Posts | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in | OwlPages.com | Owlers Forum

Different Book Covers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Guardians of Ga'Hoole
View previous topic :: View next topic  
>_Mikey_<

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Different Book Covers Reply with quote

I was looking on youtube at legend of the guardians stuff and came across this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWHdLHgYh_k

I then went to the website trying to understand what it was and what was going on, if it was a new movie or book or what, but the images in the video are the Japanese covers of the books. So then, I went to look at the covers, and WOW, they are WAY better than the covers here! They have so much more going on that show what's happening in the books! Here's a few of my favorites:

TCS.Bookman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJKEBHFBOEJK
THOSE ARE AWESOME

I had a nerd spaz there. Especially over the image of the Striga. I always had a hard time picturing him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you already saw these on that old topic about this we had a long time ago, did you miss it somehow?

Anyway, the Japanese covers are the best (except for maybe the special edition Chinese cover for The Siege, but I've only been able to find a tiny thumbnail of it.)

I know the video shows them all, but here are the rest if you want to see the full images:

Last edited by Gyfore on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Ethenite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen tons of diffrent cover like this on the guardians of gahoole wikia. its diffrent from wikipedia.
Abaila

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE the Japanese covers, they're honestly better drawn than the American ones, which I like, but honestly, they're not nearly as detailed as these ones. And they don't really depict what goes on in the books very well, when I first read GoG, I looked at some of the later covers and expected an entirely different story than I got. xD
CommanderEVE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMFG these are amazing. No seriously, the use of colour and composition is very my 'cup of tea,' these covers are very inspirational for me, I wouldn't be surprised if you saw my next few pieces being inspired by these covers. Also, I find these covers portray the story better than the American ones, in comparison the American ones lack depth. When I read the book series this is how I imagined it in my head, the use of colour reminds me of the front covers of the Akira manga.

Could you imagine if the Japanese made a Manga or even an Anime film/ series of Guardians of Ga'Hoole and did it in a 1980's style like Akira? This would blow my mind.

Thank you for sharing these Gyfore.

Also, be sure to check out the other covers from other counties, I remember Russia having some cool covers. I think... I am not 100% sure on this though.
Ethenite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm telling ya the guardian of ga'hoole wikia has the diffrent book covers
Gyfore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abaila wrote:
I LOVE the Japanese covers, they're honestly better drawn than the American ones, which I like, but honestly, they're not nearly as detailed as these ones. And they don't really depict what goes on in the books very well, when I first read GoG, I looked at some of the later covers and expected an entirely different story than I got. xD
I always thought the American covers were weird because of how inconsistent they were. There's covers like The Shattering and The Capture that are very realistic and then there's very cartoon-y covers like Exile and The Golden Tree. The character designs are inconsistent too, like on The Rescue Kludd had a few spots and a brown stomach, then on The Siege he had no spots and his undersides were solid white (which is a much more natural coloring). And whatever happened to Kludd between those books also happened to Soren/Eglantine/Ginger (whoever it is that's supposed to be on The Shattering.)

But overall, what's on the American covers isn't ever based off of actual scenes from the book other than The Siege, which is why I like the composition of (most) of the Japanese covers so much more. They're like an entire movie trailer for the book condensed into one awesome picture. Like those awesome Drew Struzan movie posters.

CommanderEVE wrote:
Thank you for sharing these Gyfore.

I think you mean Mikey...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought these alternate covers were better than the originals too. They're so much more painterly and artistic. Like EVE said, they seem more relevant to the books' narratives as well.
Ethenite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I really like on how they tell so much in the cover! Its nice and draws a very perfect image of what happened in that scene!
.:Hortense:.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are so pretty!! Much better than our covers.

"You can embrace the probability of your intiment death and know, in your heart, that there is nothing I can do to help you." ~Haymitch Abernathy
Ethenite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a link to some more covers, you gotta look for them a little but they get orginized at the bottom...
Yet out of all of the Japanese covers are the best.

http://guardiansofgahoole.wikia.com/wiki/Special:NewFiles?until=20111224045501
Gyfore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethenite wrote:
Heres a link to some more covers, you gotta look for them a little but they get orginized at the bottom...
Yet out of all of the Japanese covers are the best.

http://guardiansofgahoole.wikia.com/wiki/Special:NewFiles?until=20111224045501
Oh wow, the German covers are hilarious, especially The Capture. It looks like it was photoshopped by a 3rd grader xD
(I'm so sorry they put no effort into your covers, Germans.)

But you're missing the Italian covers. Their illustrator/stock-footage-photoshopper apparently thinks that Kludd's a Barred Owl/Barn Owl hybrid:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the other countries are hilarious. I showed that cover to my friends the other day and they were laughing. the russian ones are either okay or really funny, and the korean ones could probably be considered okay if the owls they put on the cover were more relevant to the particular book. however, the korean/german cover for The Capture is just unacceptable, that owl is just like "hi, how are you?" and obviously standing in the original picture. I also think it's weird that germany/korea used the same cover, but for some reason decided to HSL adjust it.
Ethenite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet I'm wondering where I can find the alternate cover of the capture. I think it's rare because it's not even on eBay in the US
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Guardians of Ga'Hoole All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: