Left Owl Owl Fantasy Forum
Discussion about Owls in Fiction and Fantasy
Right Owl
Recent Posts | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in | OwlPages.com | Owlers Forum

Tomboy or Girly-Girl?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you a tomboy or a girly-girl?
Tomboy
81%
 81%  [ 9 ]
Girly-Girl
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Armed With Wings

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimus Nyra wrote:
Women are barely sentient objects which should never leave the sanctuary of a kitchen, whereas men are the champion pinnacle of the human race, upon which all of the priviliges of society ought to be heaped. That is all. I hope this settled things.

Shocked

Ok, first I didn't post in this because I'm a guy but what the frink is this Nyra! I hope this was a joke!
>_Mikey_<

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neon you are still ranked the ultimate troll
Optimus Nyra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armed With Wings wrote:
Optimus Nyra wrote:
Women are barely sentient objects which should never leave the sanctuary of a kitchen, whereas men are the champion pinnacle of the human race, upon which all of the priviliges of society ought to be heaped. That is all. I hope this settled things.

Shocked

Ok, first I didn't post in this because I'm a guy but what the frink is this Nyra! I hope this was a joke!

>_Mikey_< wrote:
neon you are still ranked the ultimate troll

That should answer your question, Armed. xD

Gwendolyn wrote:
Technically, all males are mutations.
Had I been serious, I could argue that evolution begins as a mutation. Razz
TCS.Bookman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimus Nyra wrote:
Gwendolyn wrote:
Technically, all males are mutations.
Had I been serious, I could argue that evolution begins as a mutation. Razz

Touché.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomboy or Girly-Girl? Reply with quote

Okay, there's obviously a lot of confusion in my posts. I'd like to clear all this up.

Seriously, I didn't mean to offend anybody. There was simply too much misunderstandings, and not enough clearness. I had a lot on my mind lately and didn't have time to think my posts through. Not to mention, I had sleep trouble, so that kind of handicapped me too.

I got the idea for this topic from TV Trope's "Tomboy and Girly-Girl" page and MLP: FIM's "Look Before You Sleep" episode.

I'm fully aware that some gals aren't too tomboyish nor too girly-girlish, it's just that some are more tomboyish than others and vice-versa and it's the two categories that are the most polar-opposite from each other, which is why I chose this as my contrast and comparisins poll. And, every gal, no matter the personality, has at least some of these traits and one of the two is bigger than the other is all. So, why not?

Again, just so you all know that I've been paying attention to the MLP: FIM show, I know gals can come in many different forms- - -

Rainbow Dash: Athletic and a jerk-with-a-heart-of-gold. But, as been confirmed by Faust herself, she's a big tomboy, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Applejack: Hard working country girl. But, like Dash, is a proud tomboy, as hinted in several episodes.
Pinkie Pie: Eccentric and hyper. But, if given the choice, I think she's a minor girly-girl. Will get to that soon.
Fluttershy: A shy animal lover. I see her as more of a girly-girl due to her being dainty, loving flora and fauna, love for the spa, has tea-parties (had one with Rarity in "Owl's Well That Ends Well"), and wanted to do girly things with the CMC in "Stare Master" while the four were heading on over to her cottage. I'm not anti-girly-girl (will get to that later), infact, Fluttershy is my fourth favorite because, she reminded me of me when I was an elementry school kid, and I love how despite her softness, she can have a fierce streak whenever she wants to unleash it. No, I'm not tripping over myself, I'm fully awake and got (a few) things off of my mind, just in case you all are wondering.
Twilight Sparkle: Studious and snarky. But, if given the choice, I see her have a (slightly) bigger tomboy side, thus, making her a [b]minor
tomboy, will get to that soon too.
Rarity: Lady-like and tough-when-she-wants-to-be. Yes, I've seen the "A Dog and Pony Show" and am familiar with the episode's lesson, even though the dogs were none too bright and how it didn't take much to manipulate them. But, she was awfully d@mn scared of the dogs and begged them to release her. If they hadn't told her that they wanted gems, she would've been painfully put in the Distressed-Damsel category, thus making lady-like gals look bad. But, Faust made sure that some how, Rarity should show a some-what tough-side by having Rarity bug the hell out of those dogs, and for that, I salute them both. But, Rarity was also never in any real danger, the dogs just wanted gems rather than harm her, so she was able to keep her head together. And, like stereotypical girly-girls, she hates getting "icky" , crams neatness down everyone's throats, wants everypony to be a fasion bug, can be prissy, is slightly snobbish despite her generosity, and scorns those for being unlady-like. So, even though I, believe it or not, like her, she's still my least favorite of the six Mane Cast. I do admire her dress-making and selling skills, how she can be (moderately) tough when she wants to be, and her wits, but her fussiness and prissiness really gets on my nerves. On the dress thing, dress-making isn't so much as hard as it is tedious. If you just follow the pattern and have a manikin, and learn how to work a sewing machine, out-fit making isn't really all that hard, not easy mind you, but not hard, it's just dull and time-consuming is all.

I didn't mean to come off as rude. I know that girly-girls can be tough when they want to be will list some examples soon, like Rarity when she kicked the manticore in the face in Part 2 of the first MLP: FIM episode and Fluttershy in "Stare Master" . And, I know tomboys can have their heads in the clouds like Rainbow Dash and Applejack in "Fall Wheather Friends".

And, I know that some gals aren't really either, like Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie. But, if you ask me, Twilight in my opinion comes off as more of a tomboy if she must be in on or the other catagory. Why? Because she can be a bit of a hot-head and can be hot-blooded sometimes and she too likes to do less than feminine things like be in the annual Running of the Leaves race and help Applejack on the farm. The only feminine things she's done was go to the spa and liked a couple of Rarity's dresses. Even though Twi isn't either, but, seeing how every gal has at least some tomboy and girly-girlness to her, I see her having more tomboy traits than the other. Note that I said "comes off" and "has more tomboy traits" rather than dubbing her as a full-fledged tomboy!

Pinkie Pie? even though she isn't either as well, I find her feminine side to be more dominant. Why? Because, she's easily excited and passionate, hyper, giggly, and loves to bake. Again, I'm not saying that she's a full-blown girly-girl, it's just what she'd be more of a G-G if she was to be in one of the two halves.

Yes, there are badazz nontomboys, fictious and real ones alike. Here are some examples- - -

Fictious examples---

* Lucy and (to some extent) Susan from The Chronicles of Narnia.
* Rue from The Hunger Games.
* May from Pokemon.
* Mrs. Brisby in Secret of Nimh.

Realistic examples---

* click Not a literal example, but still.
* Natalie Portman.
* Varsha Vinod.
* Alexis Goggins. Despite her being seven, and appearing as girlish, she saved her mother by jumping in front of her ex when he tried to shoot her. Instead, Alexis jumped infront of her and took six bullets, even a couple to the head, and frickin survived.
* Apparently, a girl had caught a badger, thought it was cute and fluffy, and, yet, threw it at Theodore Roosevelt's face, despite it being a highly aggressive animal.

On the nurse thing, yeah, I didn't give it a full thought as I posted all that, again, my mind was full of fuzz. Yes, it is indeed a tough, squeamish, and even a spooky job. But, what I was getting at is that most, not all, most nurses are nonmuscular, honey-tongued (I realize that it is their job, but, still), leave the heavy-lifting, pulling/pushing, etc. to the doctors or male nurses. Nurses aren't weak FYI, but most of them aren't exactly into physical labor either. And, a lot of nurses are delicate and dainty like your typical girly-girls. Yet again, not all, but most. For an example, my mom's a nurse, but she's muscular, can be brash, has a gutter-mouth, put my dad in his place more times than I remember, is rough and tough, and you really don't want to piss her off we'll put it that way xDDDD . And, yet, she likes to watch the food-network, doesn't like horror films, is against hunting, and likes flowers, and, I respect as well as admire her for being a badazz nurse, despite our minor differences. I wish all nurses can be like her.
My eldest sis is a nursing assistant, she's a bit of a softie, not that it's a bad thing, but she can afford to be a bit more assertive. I still respect her decisions though and, like my mom, she's too an admirable person. My sis and I still have fun together, even if we are polar-opposites.

>_Mikey_< wrote:
I'm also really bothered by the fact that you are acting as if there are only two kinds of girls in the world, and they're one way or the other. especially seeing the fact that you watch My Little Pony and you aren't getting the message that they're sending out at all! there's more than one, two, three ways to be a girl, and a girl can do whatever she wants! why are you classifying them as one way or the other?

Um, duh? Why do you think I love the show so much?

*sounding like a broken record* I'm fully aware of all that, the point of this post is to see which gal is more of a tomboy or a girly-girl, even if they are pretty much like Twilight or Pinkie, like I've stated earlier.

>_Mikey_< wrote:
it's almost the same as saying men are better than women because they are more "down to earth" as you are saying, which isn't true at all, just as not every man is the same, either.

If males never exsisted, I'm sure that females would've picked up less-than feminine traits sooner or later.

And, I never did say that men are better than women, the very thought of that just makes me deathly sick. I even almost lost faith in the majority of guys because of that misogynistic thought. But, not all guys are losers just like not all feminine and non-feminine gals are weaklings.

I hope this entire post clears a lot, if not all, of this mess up.

>_Mikey_< wrote:
and what about fluttershy? just because she likes butterflies, bunnies, and flowers, along with having a pink mane (which apparently makes her dainty based on your descriptions)? butterflies, rabbits and birds are all living things and based on nature. that's pretty "down to earth" if you ask me. but just because those kinds of creatures are associated with little girls, apparently that makes her girly. fluttershy most certainly wouldn't classify as ladylike, she's just shy and has manners. fluttershy isn't either of what you describe as only two different types of girls.

Again, she's my favorite next to RD, AJ, and PP because of all that. Sure she can be dainty, feminine, loves bunnies and butterflies (I certainly don't blame her, they're very cute animals), and is very nonviolent, but I still admire how tough she can be, like in the "Dragonshy" episode. She needs to be more assertive and not be afraid to throw a punch when the time calls for it, but she's still a very likable character.

[quote=">_Mikey_<"]1. Then don't kid around

2. once again, all of your facts are irrelevant because your references are from another time period.[/size]

1. Erm, that's kind of my thing? I like to humorous sometimes. Which is why I compared feminine gals with the old black-and-white movies? You may like to be over-serious all the d@mn time, but I perfer to be a bit more light-hearted. 'The light-heart lives long' as an Irish proverb said. Tell you what, next time I feel the need to jest, I'll have it be well-known to avoid any complications. Deal?

2. Again, I was pretty much joking around. Joking around helps me express myself because I have the tendency to sound awkward or come off as awkward sometimes. Can't you take a joke? Seriously?

Oh, and where I got my facts from? Internet, by the gals I grew up with in elementry, middle, and high-school by listening to them and watching them and observe their personalities, my co-workers (same as the school girls), the realistic/real shows I see on TV (yes, a lot of girls fawned over the Back-Street Boys, shallow teens that want only the hot guys like in my old schools, obsessed with plastic surgeries and make-overs, etc.) which is why I don't do boybands, reality shows, MTV (except for "Beavis and Butt-Head"), etc. they give nontomboy gals a bad name.

As far as the sugar-coating thing goes, well, I can't exactly cuss like a sailor nor be overly-crude, due to this being a family-friendly site. But, like you and everyone else here on the forum, I don't have to talk like I'm throwing a tea-party either. Out-side the forum, I drop the eff bomb and enjoy cussing in general, got lectured for being blunt, and I can be as crass as Roseanne Barr herself. But, this is out-side the point and I don't even know why we're getting into a discussion about sugar-coating sentences.

---Definitions---

Dainty means "delicately beautiful or charming; exquisite." And, yet, not all gals are amazingly beautiful. I'm sure not, and, yet, it's all about personality, so I'm not too bothered by this. Yes, not all feminine gals are fashion models, I wasn't born in the '50's.

Delicate, means "exquisitely fine or dainty" , see what I put in for "dainty" .

Just for additional info, males can come in several forms too, the two biggest examples are sensitive guys and "manly" men, but seeing how I'm not a guy, I didn't make a topic for it.

No, I got nothing against gals for being either of these or both of these or neither of these or whatever, it's just that I wish feminine gals can work out to the point where they have noticable muscles to prove it so that they wouldn't be dismissed as being incapable of doing physcial labor. I know there are feminine gals that lift weights and do "rough and tumble" stuff, but not very many unfortunately.

But, what I was simply getting at is that some gals are more feminine than others and some gals are less than feminine than others. And, I was wondering who in this forum is more of. I got tomboy friends, girly-girl friends, friends who are both, and friends who aren't either. I'm not judgemental despite this topic being slightly off, which is why I took the liberty to clear this up as much as I could.

If your're somehow tomboy/ish, good for you. If you're lady-like or mostly, good for you. If you're not really one nor the other, good for you. If you're both, good for you. I don't care as long as you're a nice person. Case closed.

If I came off as stereotypical, then, I apologize. My first post on this topic did come across as sloppy with a lot of holes in it, same with the second post I made on here. In fact, other than my intrests and preferences, forget that I ever made those earlier posts.

No, I don't think that I'm holier than thou due to me being 85-90% tomboy, but it's not good to stay in your shell forever. Like that moral in the MLP: FIM episode, "Boast Busters." One's self-esteem mustn't be too high nor too low.

Well, that's my soap for the day.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much to say, except I dress girly most of the time. I play video games, I like pokemon, I like football, I like both girly and non girly things.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol oh my god I can't deal with this
trust me I have something coming
and quit PMing me when you respond like I'm stupid and can't find it, this isn't a huge forum where it's hard to find things + I really don't need this garbage clogging up my email whenever I get a notification

TCS.Bookman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, cut it out, please. This entire topic already reeks of miscommunication, spite and bull-headedness.

Scourge, your wording was slightly offensive to some members and a little close-minded, even if you yourself are not. A simplw apology (and not a novel Razz ), I think, is in order, as well as an acknowledgment that you were misunderstood and meant nothing by it. We all accept you are not as unkind and judging as the original topic came out to be.

Mikey, you're a moderator, you need to calm down a bit and set a better example. It was a well-intentioned thread and fairly harmless besides terrible wording. You sound like you have other things on your mind. Perhaps you should take a break for a little?

I have things going on for myself and I'm not the most level-headed of people, but this needs to stop right now. Both of you have reacted badly in your own way and I feel there's nothing to gain by continuing this.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomboy or Girly-Girl? Reply with quote

Oh! I am a-

Scourge's Daughter wrote:
This one's for the girls.

...nevermind.
Dune

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimus Nyra wrote:

I beg to differ very strongly.
Scourge's Daughter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwendolyn wrote:
Guys, cut it out, please. This entire topic already reeks of miscommunication, spite and bull-headedness.

Scourge, your wording was slightly offensive to some members and a little close-minded, even if you yourself are not. A simplw apology (and not a novel Razz ), I think, is in order, as well as an acknowledgment that you were misunderstood and meant nothing by it. We all accept you are not as unkind and judging as the original topic came out to be.

Mikey, you're a moderator, you need to calm down a bit and set a better example. It was a well-intentioned thread and fairly harmless besides terrible wording. You sound like you have other things on your mind. Perhaps you should take a break for a little?

I have things going on for myself and I'm not the most level-headed of people, but this needs to stop right now. Both of you have reacted badly in your own way and I feel there's nothing to gain by continuing this.

Thank you very much, Gwen, you've hit the nails on the head Smile .

And, yes, like I've stated in my latest-previous thread, I apologize for the misunderstandings. I wasn't trying to be unkind and judgemental at all (I'm very against narrow-mindedness and rudeness actually). This was nothing more than a harmless thread that got worded in a bad, messy way.

*nods* Tomboys are tough, admirable feminists in their own way, and girly-girls are also tough, admirable feminists in their own way.

*in a Twilight Sparkle accent* We all just need to embrace each other's differences.

*gives the peace sign*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimus Nyra wrote:

As we usually say in the Internets... O u.

____

I'm a woman, and I'm more into the rough type. I love to wear skirts, flowers and plants in general, birds. But I also love weapons and I'm actually an aggressive person. So dunno.

But I don't know...I don't like to say that someone is a "tomboy" or a "girly girl". I never go around saying that, kind of forcing a stereotype. And I'm pretty much against that.
UnreachableStars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love and Tolerance.
Optimus Nyra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dune wrote:
Optimus Nyra wrote:

Oh? Well, I dig to beffer your beg to differing.
Scourge's Daughter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dune wrote:
Optimus Nyra wrote:

One of the things you gotta know about Neon. *in Rainbow Dash accent* Neon is so random.

Yeah, he really was only kidding. And a good thing too. Other wise. . . . *grabs chainsaw*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: