Left Owl Owl Fantasy Forum
Discussion about Owls in Fiction and Fantasy
Right Owl
Recent Posts | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in | OwlPages.com | Owlers Forum

Tomboy or Girly-Girl?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you a tomboy or a girly-girl?
Tomboy
81%
 81%  [ 9 ]
Girly-Girl
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Author Message
Scourge's Daughter



Joined: 28 Aug 2007
Posts: 7060
Location: Equestria

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Tomboy or Girly-Girl? Reply with quote

This one's for the girls.

Are you a tomboy or a girly-girl? Yes, I know we can easily be both, but which half is more dominant?

I consider myself a (feminine) tomboy.

I'm not obsessed with dresses, picking up guys, beauty magazines, refinement, daintiness, being a lady, and lame crap like that.

While I do occasionaly gussy myself up and not too shy about flowers and butterflies, I perfer fingerless gloves over arm-length gloves. I perfer wearing my hats either backwards or side-ways over lacy hats, I believe girls/women can do anything boys/men can do and shouldn't be limited to "lady-stuff" , I perfer dumbbells and working out over manicures and pedicures, I like to cuss rather than having a British or Dutch accent, I perfer a plate full of meat and beans over small salads and quiche, I perfer watching Charmed, Roseanne, and MLP: FIM over the food-channel, I Lovy Lucy, and the old MLP shows, I perfer lock-blades and weapons in general over kitchen-ware, I perfer being called a 'woman' over being called a 'lady' , I find Goths far cooler than cheerleaders, I rather do yard work than cook and clean, I'm no stranger to getting dirty and proud of it, I rather be a cop than be a nurse any day, I find snakes and spiders cooler than fluffy bunnies and fuzzy chicks, I'd definately fight like hell over waiting for some knight in shining armor to come saving me any day, as a girl, I collected plastic bugs and played with mud over doll-houses and dress-up, and. . . . well you get the idea.

Yep, I'm 90% tomboy and 10% girly-girl.

What about you gals?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
>_Mikey_<
Moderator


Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Posts: 9919
Location: Avalon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aren't you special
_________________
take some time to enjoy the stormy weather
last fm
deviantart
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TCS.Bookman
Moderator


Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 5025
Location: I don't really know anymore. Woops!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider myself a tomboy. Before I elaborate on myself, I want to point out, though, that:

The girly girls I know are such because they like pretty things, making themselves look nice, and are very VERY social. But at the same time, they can be tough, feminists and do contact sports. My older sister, for example, is a beach girl, she loves pink, she lives in California at the moment, and she even looks kind of like a Barbie with a perfect tan and long blonde hair and smiling eyes and whatnot. And yet she laughs at immature jokes, she does some of the hardcore workout stuff, she isn't at all the hiccupy-princess stereotype, and she's a salesperson. She's very much do-it-and-get-it-done. She wouldn't wait for a prince. She eats like a pig. She loves getting dirty. She loves gross stuff. And she doesn't have a British accent xDD (I have no clue why you even threw that in there >.>)
I mean, it's a perfectly valid poll; what is your dominant part? But just because a person is a girly girl doesn't mean they're Princess Rose and have a Pomeranian named Miss Fluffles. I mean...really??

Also, why in the world is being a nurse feminine? Really?



MOVING ON
I am almost 80% stereo-typical tom boy, not be what I'm not but by what I am. I love mud, the rain, bike-riding, hiking, bugs, snakes, spiders, rats, the supernatural, getting my hands dirty, doing things. I face problems head-on, I almost never hesitate in what I do.
At the same time, I love jewelry (especially earrings). I've never understood why pink was a feminine color. I love the pink of peaches and cherry blossoms by how calm they are, not because they're pretty Razz
My fav colors remain sky blue, white and black, though.



EDIT:
Mikey, you sound a bit sour. Is something wrong...?
_________________


Last edited by TCS.Bookman on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kluddy



Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Posts: 123

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tomboy or Girly-Girl? Reply with quote

Scourge's Daughter wrote:
This one's for the girls.

[...]
I'm not obsessed with dresses, picking up guys, beauty magazines, refinement, daintiness, being a lady, and lame crap like that.



Only the girls who aren't obsessed with "lame crap like that" though, right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LOLowl



Joined: 05 Mar 2011
Posts: 428
Location: Fireclan with Eaglepaw <3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would most certainly consider myself a tomboy; I don't like jewellery, dresses, or skirts, or makeup, or boyfriends, and I don't care about looking nice (most of the time). I like getting dirty, cutting stuff up with scissors, running, hiking up extremely steep mountains, typing stories on the computer, reading, drawing, playing with toys, capturing skinks from the backyard and playing with them *coughwhatdadsays'torturing'themcough*, so much stuff the average girly-girl wouldn't do. So me... 95% tomboy yeahh Rock on!

~The 5% girly-girl: I usually like everything to be perfect.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TCS.Bookman
Moderator


Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 5025
Location: I don't really know anymore. Woops!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomboy or Girly-Girl? Reply with quote

Kluddy wrote:
Scourge's Daughter wrote:
This one's for the girls.

[...]
I'm not obsessed with dresses, picking up guys, beauty magazines, refinement, daintiness, being a lady, and lame crap like that.



Only the girls who aren't obsessed with "lame crap like that" though, right.


Oh, yes, I was gonna mention that.


Okay...why is everyone defining themselves by what they're NOT? Not all girly girls like this or that. Say what you like, don't dismiss what other people like as "girly" :/
I love jewelry but I'm very much a tomboy. I don't see why jewelry and pink is only for girls.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LOLowl



Joined: 05 Mar 2011
Posts: 428
Location: Fireclan with Eaglepaw <3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewellery isn't only for girls, boys wear it too. Yet I see what you're trying to say. Maybe.

You don't see why: when people relate to girly-girl stuff, they mention jewellery, therefore saying that jewellery is a girl thing.

Well, jewellery isn't just a girl thing, but it isn't just a boy thing; so it's both. But what does that classify jewellery as, then, in this case? Tomboy?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TCS.Bookman
Moderator


Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 5025
Location: I don't really know anymore. Woops!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm saying:

People are saying "I'm a tomboy, I don't like jewelry, I don't like pink, etc."

What I'm asking is, why do you say jewelry and pink is only for girly girls? There's of course other stuff, but I'm getting this vibe of you're too good and tough to deal with "girly" stuff like jewelry and pink and whatever else.

Jewelry is shiny and pretty and I like to play with my earrings or whatever. I'm almost always wearing rings and necklaces and earrings and such. I'm still very much an out-doorsy person. Where's this "I'm a tomboy. I prefer mud over jewelry" stuff coming from? I love mud. I love jewelry. THEY DON'T CANCEL EACH OTHER OUT.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fleur



Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 2612
Location: New York

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwendolyn wrote:
Where's this "I'm a tomboy. I prefer mud over jewelry" stuff coming from? I love mud. I love jewelry. THEY DON'T CANCEL EACH OTHER OUT.


This made me LOL. Laughing

I'm definitely more girly, heehee Smile

I don't know what everyone has against dresses Razz I love dresses, shopping, makeup, fashion, etc. LOVE pink and anything shimmery, am very social, love doing hair/makeup Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scourge's Daughter



Joined: 28 Aug 2007
Posts: 7060
Location: Equestria

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomboy or Girly-Girl? Reply with quote

>_Mikey_< wrote:
aren't you special


Umm. . . . I'm sorry that I was expressing myself? Get a grip will ya?

* * * * * * * * *

Gwendolyn wrote:
Kluddy wrote:
Scourge's Daughter wrote:
This one's for the girls.

[...]
I'm not obsessed with dresses, picking up guys, beauty magazines, refinement, daintiness, being a lady, and lame crap like that.



Only the girls who aren't obsessed with "lame crap like that" though, right.


Oh, yes, I was gonna mention that.


Okay...why is everyone defining themselves by what they're NOT? Not all girly girls like this or that. Say what you like, don't dismiss what other people like as "girly" :/
I love jewelry but I'm very much a tomboy. I don't see why jewelry and pink is only for girls.


Erm, that wasn't meant to be taken too literally.

I do own dresses (and skirts), but only a very few and I wear them, but only on special occasions. I'm not anti-dresses, I just perfer pants is all.

I'm a bi, so I'm not aloof around guys (I find some guys attractive like I find some gals attractive; although, I think that I'm more into gals as far as my sexuality goes, but that's another story), it's just that unlike your stereotypical girly-teen-girl, there's so much more to my life than boy-bands, impressing the hottest guy in the neighborhood, picking up a male-model etc.

Beauty magazines, definately better than porno mags that's for sure, but they're still definately not on my must-read list.

I do have manners (why must I bring this up), I'm polite (again, you all should know me well enough for me to not have to bring this up), and I'm also not too uncouth when I'm out and about in public. I'm just a bit more laid-back and not the type that'll swat your head off if you belch in my presence. Better out than in.
*My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic reference* Picture me as Applejack, contrasting with *Applejack accent* that fuss-bucket Rarity.

I can understand being careful and alert and all and being gentle and neat-like when the time calls for them, but come on. Must you always avoid getting your feet dirty, always afraid of breaking a nail, shiver at the thought of playing sports rather than be the cheerleader, be skiddish around the less than feminine chores, dread over hard labor, or mess yourself about anything that screams out brashness?

Ugh, I may have a feminine side, but I'm no lady. I'm not at all like those chicks you see in those old black-and-white movies. Give me a dumb-bell, a black tank-top, and a pair of faded jeans with holes on the knee areas anyday.

I do love pink, I too wear jewelery (I love jewelery in fact), and I have other girlish features *hugs my Hello Kitty plush* , again, I do posess some feminine features, it's just that I'm far more of a tomboy than a girly-girl. No, I'm not a stereotypical tomboy, again, it's simply my (much more) dominant half.

When I said that girly-girls have "British or Dutch accents" , I was only kidding around. Have you all notice that in those old black-and-white movies or shows, there's a good amount of ladies having British-like or Dutch-like accents? That's where the joke came from.

Duh, I'm well aware that there are tough nurses out there, my mother happens to be one of them in fact, and, like me, she also contains a brash side. It's just that nursing is often potrayed as one of the feminine jobs because the majority of them are gals and with them having to be "careful, dainty, sweet, and gentle" to the patients. And, seeing how nurses don't have it as rough-and-tumble-like as some of the more "manly jobs" such as fire-fighters, construction workers, etc. That's what I meant by that. Sorry if I got stereotypical there.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone on this forum and gave off a confusing and/or blunt impression. I'll be a bit more clear next time.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
>_Mikey_<
Moderator


Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Posts: 9919
Location: Avalon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tomboy or Girly-Girl? Reply with quote

Scourge's Daughter wrote:
Umm. . . . I'm sorry that I was expressing myself? Get a grip will ya?


you have a special snowflake attitude as if you're better for not being "girly", and I'm also irritated at the fact that you are enforcing gender roles/norms and categorizing them as only two types of girls.


Quote:
Erm, that wasn't meant to be taken too literally.


you're already mixing your stories up here, you're saying that you're expressing yourself and telling who you are, but now you're saying that you don't want to be taken literally/seriously.

Quote:
I'm a bi, so I'm not aloof around guys


what does being bi have to do with how you act? it's simply sexual orientation of who you are attracted to, and while it makes it a part of who you are, it has nothing to do with how you act, how you dress, and what your interests are. the "girliest" and most ladylike girl in the world could be a lesbian, just as a "tomboy" could be into just males.

this also doesn't mean that all bi/gay/straight people act a certain way around one or the other; everybody is different. just because a girl is straight doesn't mean that she'll act out of the ordinary with guys, just like how a bi person could be completely crazy and gushy over every person that they find themselves attracted to.


Quote:
it's just that unlike your stereotypical girly-teen-girl, there's so much more to my life than boy-bands, impressing the hottest guy in the neighborhood, picking up a male-model etc.


where are you getting your facts from? nobody I know acts like this, let alone I haven't seen any modern TV shows that act like that. if you are basing these on old media or what people used to do, then everything you are saying in comparison to yourself is completely irrelevant and useless seeing as no person that you classify as "girly" even acts that way anymore.

Quote:
I do have manners (why must I bring this up), I'm polite (again, you all should know me well enough for me to not have to bring this up), and I'm also not too uncouth when I'm out and about in public. I'm just a bit more laid-back and not the type that'll swat your head off if you belch in my presence. Better out than in.


there are plenty of polite "girly" girls that will do the same as you. why are you categorizing them all?


Quote:
I can understand being careful and alert and all and being gentle and neat-like when the time calls for them, but come on. Must you always avoid getting your feet dirty, always afraid of breaking a nail, shiver at the thought of playing sports rather than be the cheerleader, be skiddish around the less than feminine chores, dread over hard labor, or mess yourself about anything that screams out brashness?


again, where on earth are you getting your facts from? there are so many "girly" girls that don't act the way you just described.

Quote:
I'm not at all like those chicks you see in those old black-and-white movies.


more proof that all of your comparisons are irrelevant. not only are these movies and not real-life scenarios, they are from a whole other TIME PERIOD, where women were forced to act a different way than they do now.

Quote:
Give me a dumb-bell, a black tank-top, and a pair of faded jeans with holes on the knee areas anyday.


again, plenty of "girly" girls do this. I might as well add, not every "girly" girl acts a certain way all of the time.

Quote:
I do love pink


gender fun fact: pink used to be associated with boys because it was similar to red for aggressiveness and hard work, while blue was associated with girls because it was calm and was similar to flowers and other "dainty" things. this was reversed sometime in the past century due to what another culture thought was "right" and better.

what are you even getting at, anyway? the only time pink even comes into associating with girls is when there is a baby on the way and people tend to buy pink things for girls and blue things for boys. while I don't always see why this is and I don't think that it's right, that's the only time it ever comes into place. pink is just a color, just like all the other colors that we see.


Quote:
I too wear jewelery (I love jewelery in fact), and I have other girlish features *hugs my Hello Kitty plush* , again, I do posess some feminine features, it's just that I'm far more of a tomboy than a girly-girl. No, I'm not a stereotypical tomboy, again, it's simply my (much more) dominant half.


why are you even classifying these kinds of girls as "girly"? you are enforcing gender roles/norms by describing how girls should/shouldn't be and how they typically act, which isn't true.

I'm also really bothered by the fact that you are acting as if there are only two kinds of girls in the world, and they're one way or the other. especially seeing the fact that you watch My Little Pony and you aren't getting the message that they're sending out at all! there's more than one, two, three ways to be a girl, and a girl can do whatever she wants! why are you classifying them as one way or the other?

even in the diamond dogs episode, which was centered around rarity, twilight sparkle says "just because somepony is ladylike doesn't make her weak". you are acting as if ladylike and dainty girls are all the same, that they can't take care of themselves and get themselves out of a bad situation just because of how they act, how they dress, and what their interests are.

along with rarity, yes, she is ladylike and she likes dresses, but that's her JOB. it's not because she just likes dresses, she makes them and sells them and that's what her special talent is. do you have any idea how hard it is to make nice beautiful dresses, or clothing in general? rarity is good at what she does and just because it has to do with dresses doesn't categorize her as one way or the other.

what about twilight sparkle? she's not either of what you classify in your topic. she can handle going either way and she's fine with it. she's smart, her main interest is in her studies, which both of what your categories can do. you are acting as though just because someone doesn't act "girly" (after this, I'm not going to say that anymore, I will refer to it as dainty or ladylike because looking at it that way makes me sick) you think that they can't handle things or they're not smart enough. it's almost the same as saying men are better than women because they are more "down to earth" as you are saying, which isn't true at all, just as not every man is the same, either.

and what about fluttershy? just because she likes butterflies, bunnies, and flowers, along with having a pink mane (which apparently makes her dainty based on your descriptions)? butterflies, rabbits and birds are all living things and based on nature. that's pretty "down to earth" if you ask me. but just because those kinds of creatures are associated with little girls, apparently that makes her girly. fluttershy most certainly wouldn't classify as ladylike, she's just shy and has manners. fluttershy isn't either of what you describe as only two different types of girls.

pinkie pie isn't ladylike or "down to earth" either, but seeing as she's pink and ~pink is a girl color~ you'll probably try to categorize her as that, too.




Quote:
When I said that girly-girls have "British or Dutch accents" , I was only kidding around. Have you all notice that in those old black-and-white movies or shows, there's a good amount of ladies having British-like or Dutch-like accents? That's where the joke came from.


1. Then don't kid around

2. once again, all of your facts are irrelevant because your references are from another time period.


Quote:
It's just that nursing is often potrayed as one of the feminine jobs because the majority of them are gals and with them having to be "careful, dainty, sweet, and gentle" to the patients.


1. once again, where are you getting this from?

2. they do have to be. when someone is ill you need to be nice to them and as a nurse it's their job to be gentle and careful with them. I don't see the problem here.


Quote:
And, seeing how nurses don't have it as rough-and-tumble-like as some of the more "manly jobs" such as fire-fighters, construction workers, etc. That's what I meant by that. Sorry if I got stereotypical there.


so you're saying that a ladylike woman can't be a fire fighter or a construction worker? hmmmmm



Quote:
In this topic, you sounded as though somebody poured leomonade on your bed.


Quote:
I just perfer not to sugar-coat every, single, little sentence.


looks like sugarcoating to me


Quote:
I was merely making a topic to see who's more tomboyish and who's more girly. A polar-opposite, contrast poll if you will.


exactly. there is more than two ways to be a girl, unlike what your topic describes. there's more to being a girl than being ladylike, "down to earth", OR a mix of both. there are so many things you are leaving out here. no girl is one way or the other, the vast majority of the girls in this world are going to be nothing like what you've put in your poll.

I'm 100% against enforcing gender roles/norms, and this is why this bothered me so much.

have a pleasant day.

_________________
take some time to enjoy the stormy weather
last fm
deviantart
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TCS.Bookman
Moderator


Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 5025
Location: I don't really know anymore. Woops!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Uhm, thank you Mikey? I was trying to be a little more subtle about it, but you're right; there really is no black and white when it comes to personality.


...And I'm still kind of bothered by the nurse comment, I admit. They don't have it rough and tumble? What about all the blood? The needles? Doctors generally diagnose, nurses do the dirty work. They deal with the patients resisting care, they deal with the patients having seizures, they give the shots, they clean up blood, they do all sorts of things someone of a "rough and tumble" job wouldn't handle. Strength isn't necessarily physical. Please, stop generalizing Razz
_________________


Last edited by TCS.Bookman on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Optimus Nyra



Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Posts: 7487
Location: The annals of cyberspace.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Women are barely sentient objects which should never leave the sanctuary of a kitchen, whereas men are the champion pinnacle of the human race, upon which all of the priviliges of society ought to be heaped. That is all. I hope this settled things.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
midnightwave1



Joined: 18 May 2011
Posts: 1182
Location: Ithesoria

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Why Women are Better than Neon Reply with quote

http://www.cracked.com/article_19478_5-real-princesses-too-badass-disney-movies.html

http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/28/why-women-are-better-at-everything/

http://www.womeninworldhistory.com/rulers.html

http://womenshistory.about.com/od/hypati1/a/hypatia.htm

http://www.astr.ua.edu/4000WS/summary.shtml

http://womenshistory.about.com/od/mariecurie/p/marie_curie.htm

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/Ten-Historic-Female-Scientists-You-Should-Know.html

http://www.lkwdpl.org/wihohio/figures.htm

http://yolimari-garcia.suite101.com/famous-women-in-history-amelia-earhart-anne-frank--rosa-parks-a315438

http://listverse.com/2008/03/17/top-10-badass-female-warriors/

http://www.physics.uc.edu/~sitko/women.html

http://www.samurai-archives.com/women.html

http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women16.html

http://murderousmusings.blogspot.com/2010/12/10-most-famous-female-criminals.html

http://listverse.com/2007/09/09/top-10-most-evil-women/

http://www.famouswomenimho.com/
_________________
Gwendolyn wrote:
I know her IRL, she's sixteen (and much taller than me.... >.< )

http://figment.com/books/110250-Tredecium-Equites
"Live the life you have imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

真夜中
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TCS.Bookman
Moderator


Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 5025
Location: I don't really know anymore. Woops!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, all males are mutations.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.