Left Owl Owl Fantasy Forum
Discussion about Owls in Fiction and Fantasy
Right Owl
Recent Posts | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in | OwlPages.com | Owlers Forum

Hi, im new
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Welcome & Test Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gylfie10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Hi, im new Reply with quote

Hi, i feel like writing a cute sad stroy about owls anyone got ideas? Wink
LOLowl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why hello there random friend Wink Welcome to OFF!!! (Owl Fantasy Forum)

As for ideas, you could have like where lots of good guy owls die Cool

But how are you planning the story to go? As in, what happens? How are planning on having it sad? I need to know these things Jazzy... Or I can't help. Well, I can, but... yeah.

SAY HI EVERYONE!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! At last I am one of the first ones to say hello to a new person. I usually forget.
Anyhoo,
HELLO GYLFIE10. Welcome to Owl Fantasy Forum. Good luck with your sad story. I find the best way to make things sad is to have the main character treated unfairly. Like his/her/it's parents favor a sibling more than it, or something to that effect. That always makes me sad. And then have them all die. Except leave one alive to be sad and stuff. And EVIL wins.
midnightwave1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Welcome Gylfie10! Reply with quote

Hello Gylfie10! Welcome to OFF!!! Very Happy
(I'm Midnight, by the way. Occupation: Clincally Insane Blink )

Okay, so do you want to know a seeeeeeeecccccrrrrrrrreeeeeeeettttttt?
I just had like, seven Reeses chocolate peanut butter cups! (TM)

No, that's not it. Although it explains why I feel all jittery right now. Very Happy

So, if you want a story to be REALLY sad, take time to develop the characters. A lot. Make them our friends, make them MEAN something to the reader. Make the reader laugh at what they say, respect them, wish they were real, all that. And then near the end of the book, when there's a battle or something and the reader is hoping that they'll survive, make it so it seems like they did it, they survived, and then kill them. It puts the reader into a shock of, "Why???? WHY????" That's happened to me a few times. Dumbledore's death is the best example of this. He was such a huge character, mysterious and all-knowing and well-developed, but then Rowling kills him off.

http://figment.com/books/110250-Tredecium-Equites
"Live the life you have imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

真夜中
FeoranPride

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

As for story ideas, I find the best way to find a story is to free-write yourself to it. Often, people spend way too much time asking themselves "What will my story be about?" when you should just be writing yourself to the answer. You need to find a feeling, an image, something significant within your life and imagination that sticks out and expand on it Wink.

Best of luck, and have fun.

EDIT:

Midnight, I just ate half a bag of candy corn....so I know how you feel.
LOLowl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Feoran said. And a lot of the time, asking people for ideas isn't the best way to go. If you want to make a story then YOU have to make it up. But, of course, we can help if you get stuck.

Quote:
Dumbledore's death is the best example of this. He was such a huge character, mysterious and all-knowing and well-developed, but then Rowling kills him off.

Yeah that was pretty " OMG "!!!!. But for me it would have to be Coryn. He died so soon... and did you see how frinkin' fast the other owls got over his death??? ARRGGHH!!!!!

Anyway, a little tip: Jazzy usually isn't on, unless her and I talking on Skype. Sometimes even that's a rare occasion. But now that she's gotten more involved (not much more...) she should come on more often. *glances at Jazz* And yes, we are talking about you. *looks at everyone else* Shhhh!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Candy Corn!!!!!!! Reply with quote

FeoranPride wrote:
Hi there, welcome to the forum.

As for story ideas, I find the best way to find a story is to free-write yourself to it. Often, people spend way too much time asking themselves "What will my story be about?" when you should just be writing yourself to the answer. You need to find a feeling, an image, something significant within your life and imagination that sticks out and expand on it Wink.

Best of luck, and have fun.

EDIT:

Midnight, I just ate half a bag of candy corn....so I know how you feel.

OH MY GOSH, I LOVE CANDY CORN!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE ELSE IN MY FAMILY (and my town for all I know...) HATES CANDY CORN, BUT IT'S SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!! Very Happy

And I agree with the free-write thing. I always do that. Gwen I know prefers writing an outline for it though. Maybe I should try that sometime...

http://figment.com/books/110250-Tredecium-Equites
"Live the life you have imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

真夜中
LOLowl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's candy corn? Is that that horrible rainbow coloured popcorn?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOLowl wrote:
What's candy corn? Is that that horrible rainbow coloured popcorn?

OMG, srsly?
You know, candy corn!!! Very Happy

Anyway, welcome to the forum, Gylfie10!
LOLowl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You know, candy corn!!! Very Happy

Ohhhhhh..... I didn't know it was that...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I LOVE candy corn. It's the best holiday food ever, not like those disgusting heart candies they pass out around valentime's day. Those are so icky. I want candy corn fudge. Google it. It looks delicious.
Fleur

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zemie wrote:
Oh, I LOVE candy corn. It's the best holiday food ever, not like those disgusting heart candies they pass out around valentime's day. Those are so icky. I want candy corn fudge. Google it. It looks delicious.

I love it too! Best holiday food, next to Christmas cookies!
LOLowl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Em, sorry to break this glorious moment of food, but this is a Welcome Topic... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems everyone is anxious for the new season. Cool weather, warm colors, candy corn ^^. But LOLowl is right.

On the subject of story outlines, Gylfie and Midnight, those are certainly handy as the events start becoming more clear and defined. It's fun to shift things around and add new scenes at this stage, moving your characters around the map and giving them personality.

I'll use my own story, "Nix", as an example here. The first outline I ever produced for it was extremely vague and simple:

-Nix and family introduced
-Nix is captured and taken to St. Aggies
-Nix is trained as a soldier
-Nix returns home to confront his past

VERY simple, but the beginning, middle and end are all there. Then it's just a matter of filling in the blanks and answering questions like "What kind of owl is he? What does he like and dislike? Does he have any unique physical or mental characteristics that would affect the story or dialogue? Where does Nix live? Who is his family? How is he captured? Does he embrace or reject the Pure Ones? What will happen when he returns home in armor and battle claws?"

Nix and family introduced:
-Present time, Nix and Zoe are introduced as Nix confides with his sister the details of his past.
-The beginning in Ambala, Nix is a young and frail grass owl who is brought before the community council (five members?) to be examined for branching lessons.
Nix is captured and taken to St. Aggies:
-A disappointing outcome later leads to his rebellious act of jumping out of a tree.
-Nix's cries for help attract the attention of a nearby St. Aggies patrol who kidnaps him.

...and before you know it, you're discovering the joy of writing; the joy of placing yourself in another being's head and environment, if only for a short while.
Optimus Nyra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Jurassic Park.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Welcome & Test Posts All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: