Left Owl Owl Fantasy Forum
Discussion about Owls in Fiction and Fantasy
Right Owl
Recent Posts | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in | OwlPages.com | Owlers Forum

Can animals talk to each other?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do animals communicate?
They can talk to each other.
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
They only talk to their species.
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
They can't actually talk they communicate in other ways.
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 16

Scourge's Daughter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwen, that octopus memoir was amazing, thank you so much for sharing! Very Happy It can change color so fast. . . .

Owls and Corvidae (read the links and saw the videos by the way, Zemi, they're terrific; thank you for sharing) are my favorite birdies, but I have to agree with Gwen, parrots are the smartest of them all. Her references about Alex and the other parrots are enough said.

For the record, parrots come real close to my owlies and Corvid-ies. I would've loved to meet Alex. He must've been a real cute and clever parrot. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought owls were fairly stupid...?

I wouldn't know. Owls are actually one of the few animals I have not looked up the nuerology and current psychological reports/statistics of as of yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a constant debate. Some say they're as smart as most other birds, others say they're dumber than doorknobs.
Barowl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Don't insult doorknobs! I once had a very intelligent conversation with one. Not all doorknobs are dumb.

I find the process that a lot of scientists use to 'test' the intelligence of an animal a little...lacking. Most of it is just skinner box. If you aren't familiar with them, the Skinner Box was designed to see if you could engineer an animal/person to do something. For example, Skinner got a box and added a button that would allow a treat to be deposited. However, a treat would not always be deposited. Sometimes a rock would fall out of it. So he took a bird, and put it in the box. The bird presses the button, treat falls out. Presses it again, another treat falls out. Presses it again, whoops this time its a rock. Presses it again, this time its a treat. Voila. The bird knows that if it pushes the button, something falls out, sometimes its good, sometimes its bad. That technically doesn't show that the bird is intelligent.

There are some methods that I have seen that don't use this Skinner box. Those could possibly show that the animal is intelligent.

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
Koj09

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't insult doorknobs. The other people did. I, as well, have conversed with them.

Those owls look bothered. Scared, even. The one on the far left appears to be making a threat display.
TCS.Bookman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barowl wrote:
Hey! Don't insult doorknobs! I once had a very intelligent conversation with one. Not all doorknobs are dumb.

I find the process that a lot of scientists use to 'test' the intelligence of an animal a little...lacking. Most of it is just skinner box. If you aren't familiar with them, the Skinner Box was designed to see if you could engineer an animal/person to do something. For example, Skinner got a box and added a button that would allow a treat to be deposited. However, a treat would not always be deposited. Sometimes a rock would fall out of it. So he took a bird, and put it in the box. The bird presses the button, treat falls out. Presses it again, another treat falls out. Presses it again, whoops this time its a rock. Presses it again, this time its a treat. Voila. The bird knows that if it pushes the button, something falls out, sometimes its good, sometimes its bad. That technically doesn't show that the bird is intelligent.

There are some methods that I have seen that don't use this Skinner box. Those could possibly show that the animal is intelligent.

That's not how they measure animal intelligence anymore (not the newer generation of sicentists, anyway, which includes Alex's trainer). Intelligence is actually relative; problem solving for one species, linguistics for another, social tendancies for yet another species. It really depends on which area of intelligence you're looking at.

Gray parrots are extremely intelligent in linguistics, problem solving, social situations and overall most areas of intelligence.

@Koj
Yeah, that was sort of the point of me posting it; if you couldn't get the message of "GET THE HECK OUTTA HERE" then you have a problem with picking up ques, lol.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwendolyn wrote:
I thought owls were fairly stupid...?

lol, No Gwen. I meant that, along with Corvids, owls are my favorite birds.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the definetly can! It's called personification!
TCS.Bookman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personification is in literature. Anthropomorphism is when you apply human attributes to animals in real life Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: