Left Owl Owl Fantasy Forum
Discussion about Owls in Fiction and Fantasy
Right Owl
Recent Posts | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in | OwlPages.com | Owlers Forum

Can animals talk to each other?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do animals communicate?
They can talk to each other.
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
They only talk to their species.
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
They can't actually talk they communicate in other ways.
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 16

zemie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be argumentative, but do you have any sources that show that grey parrots and squirrels do all those same things? I've also never read anywhere that grey parrots are the smartest animals besides humans, I've the closest animals to human intelligence are elephants and dolphins. Elephants are the only non-homonid to have an observable ritual around death. See here: [LINK]
And there are several articles I've read that say crows as smart or smarter than parrots. They are even one of the very few animals considered to be self-aware, and parrots are not.
Sources:
[LINK]
[LINK]
[LINK]
[LINK]
[LINK]
TCS.Bookman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temple Grandin's behaviorology books, "Animals Make Us Human" and "Animals In Translation", as well as the "Alex Files" (the scientific recordings of Alex's experiments) and "Alex", the personal memoir-type thing written by his owner. I can quote, but I don't feel like going back and doing so. But I can if you'd like.

Those sources you just gave me, by the way, are all old, and on most of them the person who wrote them was oblivious to Alex. Also, that forum link wasn't really a valid source since those are just random people discussing on the internet. I prefer solid books when I source or research.

As for the self-aware thing, Alex became self-aware and was able to identify himself in a mirror, describe himself, etc. And Griffin I hear is accomplishing firther feats; that statement I cannot source, but I'm sure I could if I bought the most recent book about animal linguistics.

I study animal behavior, nuerology and linguistics so I have plenty of books on the subject.

And did anyone watch the video? I found it amazing, personally.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a movie about Temple Grandin. It was cool.
But I suppose if you do study all that stuff, you must be right. I still think crows are smarter though. My mom used to have an African Grey parrot, and he was pretty smart, but not amazing or anything. I doubt they are the next smartest animal besides people just because laboratories train them all their life to be that smart.
TCS.Bookman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

African grey parrots aren't "trained to be intelligent" as you imply. Just as a bright student can get an F in a clas because the wrong teaching methods are being carried out, the grey parrot actually seemed like a fairly stupid bird to us until different teaching methods were invoked. Alex was famous and had the intelligence of a four year old after only a year with his trainer. And it wasn't high-tech training in a lab. It was when the formal "train in a lab all their life" technique that was making the birds appear much less intelligent. The secret was taking a social approach in the training techniques. Then the birds blossomed and their true intelligence was revealed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then. You seem to be an expert on that, so I'll take your word for it.
I still think crows are smarter, and I doubt that parrots are the second most intellegent species besides humans.
TCS.Bookman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I'm not an expert, I just spend too much time doing insane amounts of studying...it's a hobby.

By the way, this proves the inter-species ability to communicate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YvyXu7coXA&feature=player_embedded

If you don't understand what those owls are saying, you need to get your hearing checked.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend a lot of time researching ferrets. Did you know that as well as being smarter than both cats and dogs, they are as smart as some primates? Ferrets are awesome little critters. But that is mildly off-topic, so I shall now say somthing topic-related. Um... I think I read somewhere about cuttlefish being able to change color relating to something they want other cuttlefish to know... I forget. I saw a cuttlefish at a zoo once, but some weirdo was staring with his face right up to the tank so I couldn't see it very well.
TCS.Bookman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuttlefish change their color based on their surroundings in order to camoflague. At least from what I know, no animal on earth changes color in order to communicate.

And is everyone just ignoring my video posts, or...?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I saw the octopus video. They are cool little invertebrates.
And speaking of animals language, what about that gorilla Koko that they taught sign language to?
TheConfusedWriter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying animals can't talk is saying that they aren't. It takes a deep knowledge and sense of honor to understand these things. I know to treat animals with respect that is found rarely in this world. Because of the way I am, the way of existence that I take on, I know.
Koj09

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwendolyn wrote:

And is everyone just ignoring my video posts, or...?

No.

I've seen the one with the octopi and it was AY-MAY-ZING. It's so impossibly possible... D:

And zemie; I looked at the two videos of the corvids and HO-LEE SHNAP.
TCS.Bookman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NerdSquad wrote:
Saying animals can't talk is saying that they aren't. It takes a deep knowledge and sense of honor to understand these things. I know to treat animals with respect that is found rarely in this world. Because of the way I am, the way of existence that I take on, I know.

1: "Saying animals can't talk is saying that they aren't."
...aren't what? o.o
2. What is said special existence? Your post is extremely cryptic, I'd love for you to explain further.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryptic, you say. This is my awesome self that has escaped the deep and echoing cavern that is my soul. Saying that they aren't......need I say more? WHen someone espeaks that way, saying something isn't without further explanation means that they...just....aren't...like they aren't there.

My way of exsistence is highly classified. If anyone else took on this knowledge, Gwen, the world would be more against me that it already is. I am already at war with this planet, please allow me to keep it from becoming a step worse.
TCS.Bookman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NerdSquad wrote:
Cryptic, you say. This is my awesome self that has escaped the deep and echoing cavern that is my soul. Saying that they aren't......need I say more? WHen someone espeaks that way, saying something isn't without further explanation means that they...just....aren't...like they aren't there.

My way of exsistence is highly classified. If anyone else took on this knowledge, Gwen, the world would be more against me that it already is. I am already at war with this planet, please allow me to keep it from becoming a step worse.

*cocks head*
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or funny or completely serious. But I'm probably one of the least judgemental people you'd ever find, and now you've got me really curious. Would I be bothering you if I asked over PM?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not at all
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: