Left Owl Owl Fantasy Forum
Discussion about Owls in Fiction and Fantasy
Right Owl
Recent Posts | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in | OwlPages.com | Owlers Forum

Could someone teach me Krakish?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BreeSylvana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Could someone teach me Krakish? Reply with quote

Onece I saw a guy who had studied krakish for two years, using a lot of resources, not only GoG series... I know there are not a LOT of krakish in the books, but taking this guy in reference, there are other ways to learn... but I don't know where you find all of this resources, the krakish that appears in the books is the one I know, I've learn a little of grammar and some words, but is there someone who REALLY knows krakish? Rolling Eyes
Bellis Wingclaw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished book 6: the burning and i've been interested in learning Krakish.

if i find anything good i'll post it.

"May warm winds find you
And the darkness of night hide you" (Wingclaw)

*NEW* I have a Discord app server named Lazy Owls, If any one wants in pm me...
BreeSylvana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an article of krakish in a wikia of GH...
[url]http://guardiansofgahoole.wikia.com/wiki/Krakish
[/url]

That's all the krakish I know, but there's not all!![/url]
TCS.Bookman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krakish is a language created by Kathryn Lasky. I believe we determined it uses a mix of German, Latin, Danish, Yiddish, Polish, Norwegian, and a few others, as well as some made up words from KL. So while someone could easily research those languages, the main source of info should be from the books.

The wiki has an excellent page on the Krakish language I would recommend visiting, if you're interested in learning some basics Very Happy

http://guardiansofgahoole.wikia.com/wiki/Krakish

I -- yuoy
    You -- tuoy
    He/she -- tuoy
    We -- nuoy
    You guys -- vuoyou
    They -- vuoyven

I am -- Yuoy bis
    You are -- Tuoy bit
    He/she is -- Tuoy bim
    We are -- Nuoy bimish
    You guys are -- Vuoyou bimishi
    They are -- Vuoyven bimont

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwendolyn wrote:

The wiki has an excellent page on the Krakish language I would recommend visiting, if you're interested in learning some basics Very Happy

Thats the biggest and the only list of Krakish I've seen so far. I'm putting a list
together of all the Krakish words i can find, from wiki's, blogs and other forum's from around the net...

"May warm winds find you

Lutenissa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally noticed the German in there also.

Haben Sie es nicht erkennen, auch? lol
First person to translate that gets to be the first person to translate that! Very Happy

For example issen blau in Krakish means blue ice.
blue in Krakish is the same as blue in German.

TRANSLATOR

Code:
English                German                  Krakish
blue                    blau                       blau

I made a page on Krakish translator too. Please look at it though it is locked.
It is called All Things Guardians.
I copied and pasted it from wiki and added to it. It was a really interesting page, even if I do say so myself!
Gyfore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutenissa wrote:
I totally noticed the German in there also.

Haben Sie es nicht erkennen, auch? lol
First person to translate that gets to be the first person to translate that! Very Happy
That sentence makes no sense. I think what you mean to say is "Haben Sie es auch nicht erkannt?"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellis Wingclaw wrote:
Gwendolyn wrote:

Thats the biggest and the only list of Krakish I've seen so far. I'm putting a list
together of all the Krakish words i can find, from wiki's, blogs and other forum's from around the net...

If you are going to create a web-based information bank on Krakish, then you are better off carefully reading through each book in the series and gathering your information directly from its original source to avoid false facts which can be found present on websites that have been written by other people of the public, e.g. Wikipedias, personal blogs and forums. Rather than compiling a random list which could, in the end, be full of incorrect information.

I and my friend witnessed this issue first hand when we were in the early stages of building our roleplaying website, Wings of Steel. We noticed that a lot of the Wikis’ pages where poorly written, inconsistent to each other, due to multiple people doing their own thing, unorganised and above all, incorrect through the fault of either trolls or people with little knowledge of what actually happened in the series.

Another point that you should be made aware of is the almighty copyright laws. xD You must be careful of to which sites you are going to pull, or have pulled information from, as many may not mind, but there are a few out there who will be bothered if they have seen their painstakingly put-together list ripped and slapped on your site. So, you must ask before you rip, and if you have been granted permission to rip then reference where you got the information from.

And so, this is the way to create a blog that shows you mean the ‘bees knees’.
Bellis Wingclaw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that's very helpful. I respect the copyright laws and therefore I was not going to
post it Smile I just have been filling up a notepad for cross-reference.

I'm planning on working on either a character for my little story or a oc that speaks half Krakish and Hoolian.
and I still can't figure out what to do about Sann.

"May warm winds find you

TCS.Bookman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I've been needing to reread the books anyway. Maybe we could all start a bit of a "project" together figuring out the language ourselves? We could post the lines of dialogue as we read them and figure out the translations. We could keep a working list of this stuff. And when someone finds a word in Krakish the book never clarifies, we could do a search for the word through various languages.

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwendolyn wrote:
Hmm, I've been needing to reread the books anyway. Maybe we could all start a bit of a "project" together figuring out the language ourselves? We could post the lines of dialogue as we read them and figure out the translations. We could keep a working list of this stuff. And when someone finds a word in Krakish the book never clarifies, we could do a search for the word through various languages.

What do you guys think?

That's A brilliant idea Very Happy

"May warm winds find you

Gyfore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwendolyn wrote:

What do you guys think?
That sounds awesome, but I don't have any of the books. xD I hope everyone who does own them joins in, I'd love to have a complete list of all the Krakish used in them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: