Left Owl Owl Fantasy Forum
Discussion about Owls in Fiction and Fantasy
Right Owl
Recent Posts | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in | OwlPages.com | Owlers Forum

Favorite Monarch? *spoilers*
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Guardians of Ga'Hoole
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Favorite Monarch?
Boron/Barran
62%
 62%  [ 10 ]
Coryn
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Soren
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 16

TCS.Bookman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Favorite Monarch? *spoilers* Reply with quote

So of the Monarchs that were in charge if the tree -- Boron/Barran, Coryn and Soren -- which did you think were/would be the best monarchs, and which were your favorite as characters?

Personally, I think the change was dumb. I say Boron and Barran should have remained as monarchs....if not to remain there, to at least train Coryn to be a good monarch. His time there sucked and I don't know why they thought it was a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILERS!

Coryn only caused problems. Coryn gets ember, Boron and BArran die because it was Coryn's "time"! WHAT THE FRINK? He only caused problems! He exiled the Soren! Soren's pretty cool, but Boran/Barran rocked.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, Ammeg. I have a spoiler alert in the title; therefore, the rest of the thread requires no spoiler alerts.

And yeah, i agree; Coryn comes along, Boron/Barran die because it's his turn, he ends up being brainwashed by the Striga and the tree is almost completely corrupted for eternity. Then he returns the Ember -- the thing that gave him the power in the first place -- and dies in the process of putting it back.

What power did the Ember give him, anyway? It didn't protect him from brainwashing. It didn't protect the tree from evil. Or misfortune. Or even bad weather. It was pretty; that's all it was. It radiated power, but what use was this power? What was the power? What did it do?
Nothing.
And Coryn just screwed things up with his useless Ember.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boron and barran were good monarchs and because they were adults too

I never really liked coryn for more than the first 2 books he appeared in

I think that since coryn died and soren became the "king" I feel like soren was at least DESERVING of it seeing as he lied at the tree for many moons and was a full fledged guardians and ryb.

Abaila

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coryn's time was probably one of the worst, if not, THE worst king that Ga'Hoole ever had.

He becomes a Gary-stu, he gets the ember, which has become a simple but useless plot device by then, he's so clingy, he takes up all of Soren's time, he then simply ignores Ga'Hoole's rotting, then when he comes back, he's so perfect, he takes one second to fix it. Then, he gets brainwashed by the Striga, and Soren contemplates killing Coryn, because Coryn was just... ugh. No way to explain that. In the last book, he even DIES returning the ember. Now THAT was a horrible king. And yet... they remember him. And somehow, even though he was such a horrible king, he was "related" to Hoole. Uh, yeah, there's no way after what Coryn did... XP

So Boron and Barran were the best monarchs. Soren wasn't really that kingly; so it felt odd when he was made king. If he was supposed to be king all along, then he'd probably have been made king first, giving Ga'Hoole a whole lot less of trouble. Coryn=worst, Boron and Barran=best, to me.

TheConfusedWriter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....The ember had sentiment, couldn't you see that?
Scourge's Daughter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite: Soren. 'Cause he's a noble little cutie who went and endured through so much and. . . . you get the idea. Coryn's my second favorite. And, I love Barran and Borron too.

Best leader(s): BARRAN and BORON! Not only were they older and wiser than the two Barn Owls (especially Coryn), but they were a lot more experienced. They knew what they were doing and aren't fooled easily *coughsunlikecoryncoughs* . Not to mention, they think before they act. And, they did not need some inanimate object with no sprinkin' power to prove that they were terrific leaders. Like Gwen said, they should've at least been alive long enough to pass on some knowlege to Coryn and maybe train him for three days before passing on. Their deaths were a bit of a bag of cheetos too. They must've had another reason for their deceasing other than the "it was time" thing! I'm going with the theory that they must've died of old age too.

Second best leader: Soren. Well, at least he has a lot of historical knowlege with an astonishing past to boot and is a wiser owl for the job. I mean, no bells and whistles rang during his rein, right? And, he has a noble and strong heart for the job too. He may not be a Boron/Barran now, but some day he might grow into one.

Worst leader: You guessed it, Coryn. As much as I love him, I'm not above admitting that his leadership skills were mediocre at best. I mean, he had no clue of what he was doing, he went on a wild vacation while the Tree was being over-run by the ember-lunatics, he was easily manipulated by a sprinkin' STRANGER (didn't matter that he "saved" Bell, he was still a stranger), he's usually whining about his run-away mommy being a hagsfiend rather than trying to put a stop to the Tree's uneasy obsession with the ember before it got out of control, he pretty much (temporarily) exiled the Band for Glaux's sake, he let a psycho owl burn the posessions of his fellow Guardians/noble owls and even almost the Guardians/noble owls themselves, and he even was rather on the insecure side for the job to begin with (monarchs must have total faith in themselves if they wish to rule). And. . . . guess how this young, unsure lad became a king in the first place? BY RETRIEVING AND INANIMATE OBJECT! An object that didn't do jack-squat other than having sentimental value! It was pretty much a "Oh my Glaux, you retrieved the pretty, glowwy rock, be our king please!!!111!!!111!!!111!" I'm sure that Hoole would've understood if they destroyed the ember (not even capatilizing the ember anymore) due to its destructive nature (ironic isn't it, seeing how it's supposed to be noble), and yet, not even dumping it into the sea or even into another volcano for that matter, Coryn RETURNED it back to the same "sacred" volcano! What the frink?! Anti-climatic! I hope that it'll never be retrieved agian! Was the ember really necessary in the first place? It's pretty much a rip-off of Excaliber! Kathryn really could've done so much better. . . .

Again with Coryn, he wasn't even properly acquainted with the tree at the time! Uhh, Hel-LO! This is the son of Nyra and Kludd, y'all! Yes, I know that he's noble and blah blah blah, but it's rather hard NOT to be a little suspicious about somebody who happens to be the son of serial killers, especially when you've only met him (or her) for a few frinkin' minutes!

So, yeah. Those are my thoughts.

Last edited by Scourge's Daughter on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TCS.Bookman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...this topic springs another question...

*goes off to create new topic*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coryn, like Scourge said, is the son of serial killers! No matter how much some prophecy said or that he retrieved the ember, or that he was born good on en eclipse, HE'S THE SON OF SERIAL KILLERS!!! There's got to be some bad in him! He arrived at the tree and.... TADA, he's a sprinkin' king! The death of those great monarchs because it was Nyroc's (I will call him that because he is bad) "time"! He only caused trouble to everyone. He was a little anxious freak whoturned against the Badn because they didn't "include" him in it! He's not supposed to be in the Band, he's a kid! The Band is only for them! You're Soren's nephew and a king, that doesn't make you automatically part of the Band. Then, you go and get yourself brainwashed! He banished the Band! He oushed away the ones he needed the most! Then, in trying to be "noble", he returns the ember, only to be killed. I wouldn't give him a constellation! Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ammeg of Kiel wrote:
Coryn, like Scourge said, is the son of serial killers! No matter how much some prophecy said or that he retrieved the ember, or that he was born good on en eclipse, HE'S THE SON OF SERIAL KILLERS!!! There's got to be some bad in him! He arrived at the tree and.... TADA, he's a sprinkin' king! The death of those great monarchs because it was Nyroc's (I will call him that because he is bad) "time"! He only caused trouble to everyone. He was a little anxious freak whoturned against the Badn because they didn't "include" him in it! He's not supposed to be in the Band, he's a kid! The Band is only for them! You're Soren's nephew and a king, that doesn't make you automatically part of the Band. Then, you go and get yourself brainwashed! He banished the Band! He oushed away the ones he needed the most! Then, in trying to be "noble", he returns the ember, only to be killed. I wouldn't give him a constellation! Evil or Very Mad

Dude, a person's heritage means nothing. People aren't genetically bad. Don't judge so harshly. Seriously.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scourge's Daughter wrote:
Favorite: Soren. 'Cause he's a noble little cutie who went and endured through so much and. . . . you get the idea. Coryn's my second favorite. And, I love Barran and Borron too.

Best leader(s): BARRAN and BORON! Not only were they older and wiser than the two Barn Owls (especially Coryn), but they were a lot more experienced. They knew what they were doing and aren't fooled easily *coughsunlikecoryncoughs* . Not to mention, they think before they act. And, they did not need some inanimate object with no sprinkin' power to prove that they were terrific leaders. Like Mikey said, they should've at least been alive long enough to pass on some knowlege to Coryn and maybe train him for three days before passing on. Their deaths were a bit of a bag of cheetos too. They must've had another reason for their deceasing other than the "it was time" thing! I'm going with the theory that they must've died of old age too.

Second best leader: Soren. Well, at least he has a lot of historical knowlege with an astonishing past to boot and is a wiser owl for the job. I mean, no bells and whistles rang during his rein, right? And, he has a noble and strong heart for the job too. He may not be a Borron/Barran now, but some day he might grow into one.

Worst leader: You guessed it, Coryn. As much as I love him, I'm not above admitting that his leadership skills were mediocre at best. I mean, he had no clue of what he was doing, he went on a wild vacation while the Tree was being over-run by the ember-lunatics, he was easily manipulated by a sprinkin' STRANGER (didn't matter that he "saved" Bell, he was still a stranger), he's usually whining about his run-away mommy being a hagsfiend rather than trying to put a stop to the Tree's uneasy obsession with the ember before it got out of control, he pretty much (temporarily) exiled the Band for Glaux's sake, he let a psycho owl burn the posessions of his fellow Guardians/noble owls and even almost the Guardians/noble owls themselves, and he even was rather on the insecure side for the job to begin with (monarchs must have total faith in themselves if they wish to rule). And. . . . guess how this young, unsure lad became a king in the first place? BY RETRIEVING AND INANIMATE OBJECT! An object that didn't do jack-squat other than having sentimental value! It was pretty much a "Oh my Glaux, you retrieved the pretty, glowwy rock, be our king please!!!111!!!111!!!111!" I'm sure that Hoole would've understood if they destroyed the ember (not even capatilizing the ember anymore) due to its destructive nature (ironic isn't it, seeing how it's supposed to be noble), and yet, not even dumping it into the sea or even into another volcano for that matter, Coryn RETURNED it back to the same "sacred" volcano! What the frink?! Anti-climatic! I hope that it'll never be retrieved agian! Was the ember really necessary in the first place? It's pretty much a rip-off of Excaliber! Kathryn really could've done so much better. . . .

Again with Coryn, he wasn't even properly acquainted with the tree at the time! Uhh, Hel-LO! This is the son of Nyra and Kludd, y'all! Yes, I know that he's noble and blah blah blah, but it's rather hard NOT to be a little suspicious about somebody who happens to be the son of serial killers, especially when you've only met him (or her) for a few frinkin' minutes!

So, yeah. Those are my thoughts.

You said it all right there. XD

So far, it seems like Coryn has become the LEAST popular king here. I mean, he was great for some of the first of his book series. Then, he became the Owl Confusious... at quite a young age. And then everybody starts coming to him for knowlage and he becomes king. And then he turns into a big softy who wines about his mum being a hagsfiend. You're not the son of a devil, boy, you're the son of an awesome owl turned stupidly insane (and I mean STUPIDLY when I say that; Nyra became extremely predictable during Coryn's books). And then nobody comes to him for knowlage, and he gets weaker and weaker until a second war begins. Dang. So much for picking up a shiny object of prettiness out of a volcano.

Lol, went on another mini rant. =w=

TCS.Bookman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AncientWinds wrote:
So much for picking up a shiny object of prettiness out of a volcano.

Perfect statement. Right there. That alone needs no explaination around it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwendolyn wrote:
Ammeg of Kiel wrote:

Dude, a person's heritage means nothing. People aren't genetically bad. Don't judge so harshly. Seriously.

That is very true, Gwen, BUT it is rather hard not to be narrow-eyed (at least for a little bit) at somebody who's parents wrecked so much havoc and slaughtered numerous owls.

I even stated that in my earlier post.

I mean, if I was the daughter of a Nazi (which I'm NOT), I wouldn't blame others for being suspicious of me, not one bit.

So, yeah.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scourge's Daughter wrote:
Gwendolyn wrote:
Ammeg of Kiel wrote:

That is very true, Gwen, BUT it is rather hard not to be narrow-eyed (at least for a little bit) at somebody who's parents wrecked so much havoc and slaughtered numerous owls.

I even stated that in my earlier post.

I mean, if I was the daughter of a Nazi (which I'm NOT), I wouldn't blame others for being suspicious of me, not one bit.

So, yeah.

No, I totally agree with that; Ammeg was getting at the wrong idea. She thought that since Coryn was the son of evil, therefore he was evil (even going so far as calling him Nyroc, claiming all the mistakes he made were on purpose just to harm the Tree...which, by the way, is ludicrous). It wasn't his genetics that would have made me suspicious, it was who raised him.

I think the reason the owls trusted him was only because he retrieved the Ember...which is insane. Is there some sort of law that only GOOD owls can retrieve the Ember?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the name Nyroc better, mind you. Anyways, he was raised by Nyra, bred by serial killers. There's got to be some of that mentality in there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Guardians of Ga'Hoole All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: